Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/20/2003 3:41:55 PM EDT
Is there a right way to line up the gas block to the port hole on the barrel??    I took my new AR creation to the range and it was short stroking, only shooting one round and then I would have to charge it again.  People have told me it was the gas tube or gas block so I rechecked it and cleaned it, but still short stroking.  Anyone else have this problem???
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If enough rounds have been fired to deposit some carbon around the port in the barrel, you can remove the block and examine the ring of carbon around the barrel port. It should be concentric with the port. If the holes are not aligned, the carbon will form in a crescent shape off to one side of the hole.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried VERY LIGHTLY scribing a port centre line on the rear of the gas block and another line longitudinally through the port in the barrel,this will ensure that all is in alignment as you tap or press the block/post on before  tightening/pinning.If there is no shoulder on the barrel to stop the blocks rearward motion,then LIGHTLY scribe another line laterally where the block should terminate.Measure this from the actual post or gas block you are fitting.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys for your input.  I finally changed out the trigger system and the safety lever and finally today I took it to the range and it began cycling properly after 30 rounds through it.  Maybe it wasn't the gas tube or gas block after all.  Thanks anyways.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top