Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/13/2003 6:32:18 AM EDT
I was in the market to buy an Olympic $499 deal out of Shotgun News.
After much advice from fellow members of this board I've decided to go the 50/50 build route. I am going with a Panther Arms BA-16TB complete upper and a lower will be a rock river std. I will spend without FFL fees $550 and another couple of bucks for 2 20 round mags. I think that is much better that a std boring Plinker.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was in the market to buy an Olympic $499 deal out of Shotgun News.
After much advice from fellow members of this board I've decided to go the 50/50 build route. I am going with a Panther Arms BA-16TB complete upper and a lower will be a rock river std. I will spend without FFL fees $550 and another couple of bucks for 2 20 round mags. I think that is much better that a std boring Plinker.
View Quote

I haven't seen much about Panther Arms. Are you opposed to the kit route (i.e., J&T kit and a Stinger lower)? You would be into that for $540+transfer fees +mags +ammo. I don't think you'll find anyone here that doesn't recommend that route.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:11:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Panther Arms is DPMS. Go with the Rock River lower and the DPMS upper, youll end up with a much better rifle than you would if you get the 499.00 Olympic gun.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats what I'm talking about Ken.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#4]
The whole reason I am avoiding the kit lower is because I had back surgery 6 mos ago and it affected my left arm and hand's manual dexterity. So all the little springs and pins might go bing and boing in the basement and I'll never find them. That is the only reason I am avoiding the kit route. Unless someone wants to build one for me for free. :)
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone NOT agree with my build plan choices? Feel free to speak up.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had more trouble with assembling Christmas presents than my first AR15 kit.  I have put them together for friends multiple times.  It takes about 30 minutes over a glass of tea and some gun talk.  If you have anyone around who is the least bit mechanically inclined, kits are no problem.  I went with a Stinger lower (incredible quality and only $89 delivered) and a Model 1 kit.  No problemo.  Total cost including shipping, taxes, etc. was $508 without magazines.  

Getting the AR15 bug, however, is going to cost me a bundle over the rest of my life.  My father watched me put his kit together and has already ordered and assembled another.  Must be genetic.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Heck, I'd assemble it for you if I lived closer, but shipping would put the cost over your plans.

BTW, I think you have a good plan, sounds like it will be a fine rifle at a good value.

I'm sure you have, but just in case, make sure the price of the upper includes the bolt, carrier and charging handle.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Who is seling Stinger lowers delivered for $90
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#9]
[url=http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=153544]Stripped Lower[/url] $89 shipped
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Your plan works for me!.
DPMS is of very good quality, specially with that teflon coat finish. The lower is also a fine choice, but would you concider getting a lower from CMMG [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=144642&w=myTopicPop[/url]; I know they will cost a few more dollars, but they are also teflon coated and will match your upper nicely.

Good work and have fun, make sure to post pictures of the rifle when finished, we all love to see pictures of projects.

Black_Rifle
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top