Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/12/2003 11:54:42 PM EDT
I'm wondering where I can get some of the material similar to the foam used on the ACE/ARFX stock.

I'm hoping to stick/glue/weld, whatever some to my four position stock.  I'm checking the local bike shop tomorrow to see if I can cut up a grip or something.  But I still need some input.

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Just watching the thread.... Want something similar for my Sub2K.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:21:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Off road shops sell a slip on foam rubber padding  that goes around roll bars.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:19:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm wondering where I can get some of the material similar to the foam used on the ACE/ARFX stock.

I'm hoping to stick/glue/weld, whatever some to my four position stock.  [red]I'm checking the local bike shop tomorrow to see if I can cut up a grip or something.[/red]  But I still need some input.

thanks in advance
View Quote

Actually, now that you mention it.  The foam on my ACE stock looks [blue]*EXACTLY*[/blue]like the foam that was used on handlebars for 10 speed road bikes back in the day.  I don't know if they still use it today on the road bikes, but I'll hit up my local shop and see.  I think you on the right track!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:00:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Your local bike shops probably won't carry that stuff anymore.  Your best bet would be to check out Wal Mart.

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Back in the day, there was this stuff call ProGrip that we used to cover windsurfing booms with. This stuff feels great, and it doesn't move around. I have about 8 feet of it  (international distress orange!) in my shop. It's about 1/8" thick. You bevel one edge, then contact cement it to the tube. The end of the wrap gets glued over the bevel. Later, you sand it to profile. The seam is not bad, and goes underneath.

I happened to be in the local crafts store, and they are selling the stuff in sheets, as stuff for kids to cut up and glue in to cute littel projects. Name a color- it's there in small quantities. It's called "Wonderfoam."

I looked it up in my Sax arts & crafts catalog- Wonderfoam 748-3500 $5.99 for package of 10 9x12" or 748-1013 12x18 $9.99 I think they have a website.

OK, I tell you guys this because I'm checking out a suspicion I have that the stuff comes in animal prints- zebra, leopard, tiger, cow.

Pete
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:08:12 PM EDT
[#6]
you might try a cheek -eez pad from brownell's.  The same folks who make kick-eez shotgun pads make stick on pads for shotgun stock combs.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been looking myself. Mine already has a good size tear in it and I can tell that overtime the foam won't last very long.

A replacement piece is $6.00! (for a 10" piece of foam rubber).

[url]http://www.riflestocks.com/html/ar15_m16_products.html[/url]

I tried looking in Home Depot for slip on foam covers that go on garden tools, shovels, etc. No luck. I work as a firefighter and the handles of the plaster hooks and ceiling rakes we have have a foam grip covering that looks identical (and the correct size) to the ARFX stuff. I tried searching a few fire supply places but, no luck there either.

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Were I to get an ACE stock, I'd probably just wrap the buffer tube with 550 cord. It'd serve the same purpose, but be a lot more durable.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://www.foamtubing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FTAG&Category_Code=FTCTL[/url]

$1.77 per foot for 1" diameter.

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.foamtubing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FTAG&Category_Code=FTCTL[/url]

$1.77 per foot for 1" diameter.

View Quote

I'm not sure if that stuff would work. Average thickness is 1/4"... the stuff has to be thin enough to allow the charging handle to clear.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I have foam tubing with 7/8 ID. That should wrap around a 1" tube. This is foam wrap for copper lines for Air Conditioning systems.
I believe I paid about 1.00 per foot.

ACE stock...120.00
Build your own back plate, tube and clamp 20.00.

Rick
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#12]
The foam used on the Ace stocks is nothing like the handle bar foam from back in the day. I haven't looked at any of the new bikes.
Like it was already said in the topic, when my foam dies, I'll wrap it with para cord.

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:51:57 AM EDT
[#13]
How about some of the material that is on fishing rod handles.  I've Googled a little bit, and I think it's called EVA foam.  

If one of you lives near a high-end Fishing Pro shop, maybe you could check some of it out.

[edit] Something like they have at this place.
[url]http://www.mudhole.com/default.html[/url]

Go to GRIP MATERIALS

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#14]
i didn't get to the bike shop, but the Walmart sells 12in by 12in sections of a spongy foam type stuff that might work...i'm pretty sure I'd have to contact cement the stuff down.  it is relatively thin, too...about 1/8 inch.  real cheap, too so if it didn't work I could always pitch it.

i'm still going to look ay brownell's, too
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top