Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 3:02:24 PM EDT
Someone told me that I can chop the removable handle on my AR (bushy flattop) to just keep the rear sight, saving me oodles of $$$ to go toward the rest of the rifle.

Is there anything special I need to know/do to make this work? Any pics/diagrams you can link me to?

Thanks alot.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#1]
very interesting....would u get rails milled onto the area below where the handle used to go?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I've done two. It is very easy, once you get over that your cutting a $100 item [:D]. Overcut things a little, so you can file/sand the rough edges. On the base, cut infront of the rear clamp. And on the top, leave enough material to protect the sight assembly.
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid62/p02b5c7bce64941a3a1e4d9a73f980d54/fc20bcb9.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen a couple of guys post here with pictures and the final product looked good.
I guess if you already have the detach handle and don't mind the rear ap. always there, it makes a good setup.
If you have to buy a removable handle, anything worth the money will run $90 to $100 why not just get an ARMS #40.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Notack, that turned out great.  What did you refinish with?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Ahhh, thats a good point about the rear sight always being there. Pertinent info that kinda got skipped in my conception of the finished project.

Hmmm.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I cut my carrying handle after seeing yours. I refinished it with flat black Alumahyde II from Brownells. I like it more than the BM flip sight.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Notack, nice job...that looks professional!  Ya got me thinking...I've got a carry handle sitting in a box in the back here hehehe...
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#8]
OOPS! Sorry guys,[LOL]
I should have noted that the picture came from another thread, thats not my CCH, I just used it for reference. I actually left a little more on the top with a slight forward angle. I refinished mine with Brownell's Teflon/Moly.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top