Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/9/2003 9:11:55 AM EDT
matte black or dark gray parkerizing will match the barrell and receiver best?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Matte black seems to match Armalite and DPMS best. Can't speak for any others.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The couple of pieces I've done in Matte Black aren't completely matte...it looks good, but it's not the same finish as on my ARs.  Your mileage may vary, but test it out on something else before you do your AR.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#3]
"Dark Parkerizing gray" Alumahyde II cannot even remotely be described as dark, trust me. The stuff comes out a light to medium gray.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
RR lower.       sounds like i need to go with the matte black.

will the paint stick to the battered upper receiver i have, or does it need to be completely sanded/blasted?
 thinking about blasting the whole upper without removing any parts except the handguards,  washing in a parts washer, then painting
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I did a FAL receiver cover as a test...I just made sure the thing didn't have any oil/grease on it...but it did have varying degrees of existing finish.  The Alumahyde dried very evenly, to where I couldn't tell what was underneath it.  Just make sure it's smooth, obviously, and free from rust...all the usual common sense stuff.  

As for the colors...their "olive drab" is kinda a baby shit green...much lighter than any od I've ever seen...so it doesn't surprise me their other colors are wrong.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...thinking about blasting the whole upper without removing any parts except the handguards,  washing in a parts washer, then painting
View Quote

I'd think twice before sandblasting the upper.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:18:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Slash, are you saying not to blast upper because it is aluminum?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Matte black is the color. It will be as close as possible. Check the rifles below. One has furniture done with Allumahide matte black and the other is mint A1 surlpus stuff. Can you tell which is which?  
If you do sand blast, the best way to get the grit out is warm soapy water. Varsol from the parts washer just wont do.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=13371[/img]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Pics look great!  sounds like i need to "feather" the worn upper receiver with 400 sandpaper and coat on top of what is left.  is this good prep technique with the alumihyde?

what is varsol?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I would remove the barrel, dissassemble the upper and sand blast for the best results.
I refinished a beater shotgun with Allumahide after complete teardown and sandblasting. It came out great. The stuff seems pretty durable too. I baked the parts in my car for a day. It has to be 140 degrees in there when its sunny.[;)]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top