Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2003 9:00:31 AM EDT
The tip broke off the buffer retainer in my rifle as I was reassembling the stock assembly.  

I'm about to order 2 (1 for a spare).  Do you think this is an isolated incident, or is this fairly common?  I didn't use "gorilla gunsmithing."  I noticed that the tip was broken just before closing the upper.  Any thoughts/tips are appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're talking about the little spring loaded tip that sticks up out of the bottom of the threaded hole for the buffer tube, never seen nor heard of this happening before. Still, I suppose anything is possible. Well, getting two isn't significantly more expensive than just one, but kind of doubt you'll ever need the second one.  Still, I've got all kinds of odds and ends in my parts box I'll never use either[:D]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually shoot mine across the room on disassembly....
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#3]
ive broken one.  I have no luck with black rifles
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:59:17 AM EDT
[#4]
May have been an isolated material defect.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:08:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I usually shoot mine across the room on disassembly....
View Quote

Now that I've done[;D]. Found the retainer, but the spring was unfindable.  That's when i learned there are some ball point pens with springs that are close enough to work[:D]

A month later, whilst grubbing around for another part that had taken off for parts unknown, found the original spring.

Aaaah, the joys of being an AR tinkerer[:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen several back in my day as a unit armorer. they are easy to fix and cheap to replace. Just to prove a point to my chain of command I took a M16 to the range w/o a retainer pin and spring and shot a couple hundred rounds. no jams at all. the pin is only there to keep the buffer in the tube during dissassembly.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top