Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 3:21:54 PM EDT
I got my parts kit and my lower reciever, I plan on following the instructions on ar15.com to the letter, except for any suggestions you may have, I appreciate your advice.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Tape the area's around where your ddriving pins in. And be sure to back support the trigger guard "tangs" when driving that pin in.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
anything else??
Ive read about greasing the pins, is that really necessary?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Inevitably, at least one or two of those small springs will go flying off and can be a bitch to find.

When it gets time to install those small springs and detents, do it in a small, well lit, enclosed area. The bathroom is ideal (cover the drains).

Honey, what are you doing in there? You've been in there an awful long time.

Just installing the front pivot pin detent and spring on my AR.

Well, you don't have to lie. Come to bed and we'll talk about it. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#4]
hehehehe

well im only 19 so its no biggie, i'll just tell my brother to bug off
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I splurged and bought the neat little pivot pin tool from Pete, so hopefully i wont have a problem there
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Use a drill bit and clean out all the holes (by hand, not with a drill)

Use Lube on the pins.

Tape is a good idea, use several layers to prevent nicks.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:34:18 AM EDT
[#7]
 After chasing detent pins and springs around the room for the third time, I decided to do the lower assembly inside a big zip-loc bag. It didn't make it any easier but I was able to just pick up the springs and pins the next 7200 times they flew out of place and start again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#8]
suprisingly enough, I was able to do all the pins, dentents, ect on the first try, i was amazed at how simple the pivot pin dentent was with the neat little tool. my lower is all assembled, cant wait til i can afford my bolt and carrier!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
 After chasing detent pins and springs around the room for the third time, I decided to do the lower assembly inside a big zip-loc bag. It didn't make it any easier but I was able to just pick up the springs and pins the next 7200 times they flew out of place and start again.
View Quote

Don't feel too bad, I sent mine "rocketing" across my garage 3 times, and spent about 45 minutes per "launch" looking for the detent..LOL
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I just made my own tool out of a short length of 1/4" OD steel hydraulic tubing. First I chucked it up in the drill press, and sanded one end down with sandpaper to about 0.247".
Then i cross-drilled the hole. After making sure it fit in the pivot pin hole, I bent the tubing 90 degrees to make a handle. Works great! Seth
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#11]
The answer to springs are new pliers and big magnets.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top