Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2003 4:48:19 PM EDT
  Im still in the process of getting the money together but i am trying to play out how the barrel and its parts are assembled and added to the upper.  
1. i will be using a freefloat tube so that replaces the barrel nut right?  
2. If that is the case how do you aline the hole for the gas tube to pass through?  would you simply torque some get out the flashlight and look then torque more if needed.  
3. I assume once you attach the barrel then you slide the gas tube through the hole and into the reciever.
4. does a gas tube screw into the gas block somehow ir is it just a pressure fit when the block is pushed on?  
I dont plan to have a break on the end so that should make things smoother for me.  
5. Do thease sound like the tools i will need: vise, action block, tool for the freefloat handguards, and a torque wrench.  
6.Are there any special lubes that work well if they are needed when installing the handguard since its free floating and acting as the barrel nut.  
If i left out anything let me know Thanks            
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#1]
1. i will be using a freefloat tube so that replaces the barrel nut right?
A: Yes, there are at least three types of free float tubes that I know of - one, two and three piece tubes. All replace the barrel nut in one way or another.

2. If that is the case how do you aline the hole for the gas tube to pass through? would you simply torque some get out the flashlight and look then torque more if needed.
A: You're talking about the one piece tubes. The better ones are the two and three piece tubes sold by Armalite and Bushmaster. The two piece tubes have a nut that the tube then mates with allowing you to index the sling/bipod mount.

I have a one piece mount that has the complete A2 style sight outside and beyond the tube. The tube screws into place with about 24 holes available to line up. Then the gas tube slides into place - then the front sight (pinned in place).

3. I assume once you attach the barrel then you slide the gas tube through the hole and into the reciever.
A: Yes, before sliding the front sight/gas assembly.

4. does a gas tube screw into the gas block somehow ir is it just a pressure fit when the block is pushed on?
A: It's gently pressed into place.

I dont plan to have a break on the end so that should make things smoother for me.
A: Breaks on the end are worse than brakes for sure!

5. Do thease sound like the tools i will need: vise, action block, tool for the freefloat handguards, and a torque wrench.
A: Pin punchs - brass hammer.

6.Are there any special lubes that work well if they are needed when installing the handguard since its free floating and acting as the barrel nut.
A: You can use the molly anti-sieze compound to help torque the tube.

If i left out anything let me know Thanks
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
  Thanks Paul i think you covered all my questions pretty good.  Ha and good call on the break(brake). ill learn to spell one of thease days.    
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top