Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2003 3:20:54 PM EDT
I have read several of the articles, FAQs and posts.  With the current kits from BM going for almost $700 and individual parts sometimes adding up to more it looks like you would be within spitting distance of the $900 and change shops up here want for complete rifles by the time you bought the lower.  I based this on a BM M4.  Basically I wanted a little different than stock so I was adding up the prices and decided that the stock one might be close enough and I could just buy a part or two later if I still want it just my way.  Are other companies much less expensive or is this about where most prices are these days?  Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#1]
With the prices of factory AR's hovering around $ 700 ish , Building an AR will cost around $ 550 with the cheapest lower and kit you can find and then you get what you pay for ! I don't plan on building anymore ..

Bushmaster asks so much for a kit because they wan't you to buy a complete rifle ... thats what they do for a living ...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I just finished my 1st build and it cost me exactly $604.71.  I had an Eagle Arms stripped lower that I got for $100 and ordered a 16" CAR kit from J&T that came to $504.71.  The same gun from [url]www.star15.com[/url] (J&T Distributing) is priced at $774.95 and with a permanently attached A2 style tac-brake it would be $814.95 ([url]http://www.star15.com/basics.htm[/url]).  I saved about $210 by building it myself.  Of course, it's not a Bushmaster, but it will work for what I wanted it for.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, itss cost effective alright. Until you get the urge to build another one, then another, then another, then there is the sights and grips and magazines and bullets. Building your own AR cost effective? Yes. Getting into AR-15s as a hobby? No. The black rifle= the gift that keeps on givin!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#4]
True, you won't save more than a few hundred $$, but it's more rewarding and you'll understandthe weapon better if you build it.

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I have sunk 2 grand in em....the last one I built I put 406.00 and change in it............ I got that in the upper thats on the bench right now...it depend just how pickey you are.. and what you want.. and how many gun nuts you know who cull good parts.............
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:10:00 AM EDT
[#6]
You save 25% or so, learn your rifle, and get 99.5% the same thing.. what's not to like?

My JT kit shoots like a dream and came out around $550.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#7]
For me, it's not about the money...not completely!  In fact, when all is said and done with my project, I'll probably have MORE than if I just went out and bought one...but I'd still have to do some purchasing and swapping to get exactly what I want.  Through building my own, I can buy a little at a time until I've got EXACTLY what I want.  For me, it's hard to shell out $1000 at once, but a little here, a little there doesn't seem quite as bad.

The other factor is the personal satisfaction of building it yourself.  That's something you can't buy!

Eric
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#8]
You all seem to be finding kits cheaper than I have.  I have mostly stayed with Bushmaster due to local availability and previous experience with their quality.  I end up with something like $850 by the time I have built it vs $930 for a complete one.  I also need to build up a relationship with an FFL.  Most of them are a little uptight about transfers if you are not a regular customer.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You all seem to be finding kits cheaper than I have.
View Quote

Look in industry section of this forum.  Scroll down to dealers.
[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=2]Industry[/url]

The best reputation (on this board):  J & T Distributing

The Lowest Prices:  Model 1 Sales

Good Luck.  I hope the BRD bug doesn't bite too hard.

[url=users.zoominternet.net/~pcfitz]P.I.G.S.[/url]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Uh, I'm shipping back my j&t kit for the second time this monday.  The first one they sent me out was the wrong caliber, this one fails to eject even after scrubbing the chamber with a chamber brush forever as suggested.  The cost is definitely higher than initially expected with all this shipping.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Uh, I'm shipping back my j&t kit for the second time this monday
View Quote

sorry to hear about probs.

I've heard of similar probs with Model 1.

I had pretty good luck with my Model 1 standard kit built on Eagle Arms lower.  Minor mod to pivot detent and safety selector.  My total cost with all shipping + nics & MD taxes was $560.

btw: the cheapest factory ar's in my neck of the woods start at around $875 + taxes + background checks & posibly transfer fees on top of that depending where I bought it.

I've put about 400 rounds through it, works great shoots straight.

For the most part.  Most folks on this forum stand by J&T

I guess I'll just have to buy a J&T kit...for comparison purposes only of course.  lol

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Sacrifice;

That's too bad.. my experience was pretty much flawless.. How has their customer service been?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sacrifice;

That's too bad.. my experience was pretty much flawless.. How has their customer service been?
View Quote

They've been handling it well.  THe first upper they sent me was a 7.62 caliber and I took a digital picture of the spent 5.56 cartridge which obviously resized itself into a 7.62 after firing.  J&T said they thought there would have been no way for them to make that mistake but that the picture pointed to the obvious.  So I sent that back, got my second upper and it fails to eject.  I was told to thoroughly scrub the chamber and after about 3 scrub sessions and 3 times to the range, with no success it's going back too.  If you don't have confidence in your firearm, why even own one?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:12:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you don't have confidence in your firearm, why even own one?
View Quote

couldn't agree more!

[grenade]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I did alot of research prior to buiding my first.  In doing cost comparrisons, one thing stood out more than anything else.  The only real way to save was to buy a stripped lower and complete kit.  Anything else, did not net a good savings if any at all.

I have been extremely pleased with the two J&T purchases I have made.  My 20" J&T is one of my finer rifles.

Tj
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have read several of the articles, FAQs and posts.  With the current kits from BM going for almost $700 and individual parts sometimes adding up to more it looks like you would be within spitting distance of the $900 and change shops up here want for complete rifles by the time you bought the lower.  I based this on a BM M4.  Basically I wanted a little different than stock so I was adding up the prices and decided that the stock one might be close enough and I could just buy a part or two later if I still want it just my way.  Are other companies much less expensive or is this about where most prices are these days?  Thank you.
View Quote

Simple math equation

Parts kit 400 to 500 + 100 for a lower - no FET (federal excise tax) = savings.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#17]
My experience=1 build.
Model 1 16" CAR kit with A2 upper and A2 stock, welded muzzle brake. $471 shipped
BM lower $180 from dealer.
American Spirit Arms FCG to replace the crap FCG from Model 1-$35

First trip to range with no failures to feed, function or fire and ringing steel at up to 300yards-priceless!

$685 for whole shebang.

Lots of AR knowledge I never had before. Pride of building your own.

Definately think the kit was the way to go.

BM shorties are $875-950 here in Phx.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I am going to build a RRA 24" SS bbl Varmint clone with various upgrades for $150 less than what I can get it complete(200 less than list price) .  I am going to buy it in parts for the lower and a complete upper which I am changing the handgaurds to custom Carbon Fiber with heat shielding underneath and someone is going to buy my factory handgaurds for $5 less than list price for them.  The grip is going to be a finger gripped, match style with palm rest/block.  The buttstock is going to be a standard A2 with the buttplate removed and an adjustable rubber pad in place of it.  The pad is curved to "lock" into you shoulder more like a custom bolt gun.  All in all, It will essentially be the mechanics of the RRA rifle with various different parts to make it like I want it.  All the modifying will be done by me, an amatuer gunsmith, and someone is paying me to build another one just like it.  Mine will have one difference, the controls and grips will be setup for a lefty and the buttpad will be adjusted for me.  Oh it will also get a 45X45 Leupold Scope that has a FOV of 2' at 100yrds.  I have a feeling this gun is going to be a serious shooter.  The licensed gunsmith that will be checking my work is going to help me get the trigger weight down to about 1.5-2.0 lbs.  I have a fealing this will be a serious shooter
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh Christ I know I'm asking for it.... My build (Fab-10 lower, pre-ban flat-top Bushy upper w/detachable carry handle, some cleaning stuff) ran me just over $1,100...

I'm waiting for the flames.. Please, be gentle.[8)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I came In with $425.00 in the upper with lower reciever parts included. Bare unfinished lower was $59.00, shipping about $20.00 for both.DPMS upper, with all lower parts. Lower is a casting made by Olympic Arms. It shoots flawless.  That is a total of $504.00 Now that don't count the countless hours that it took to machine out the lower, but I learned a lot about the AR. I also learned a lot about a end mill. I am planning on doing another one some time this year. I don't see putting more money into a rifle  just for the name.If it does what you want that is all that counts. I am satified with my cheap one. I know It won't sell for what a colt or bush would but then again I didn't build it to sell
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#21]

No flames but envy of other states.

When a Fab-10 lower is over $300.00 after tax and other fees it's not really that hard to believe. The carry handle alone could be over $100. depending on who you buy it from. Flat top  flip up sights (Front and Rear) can set you back another $100. A Leupold? $$$ One area where you can at least save some money - you don't have to worry about buying magazines;)

A simple $400 J&T A2 kit still puts it up to $700.

Pat.

Earthquakes or tornados, sun or snow, sticks and stones or ar15's. At least the weather is nice!

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#22]
pre ban upper on fab-10?

nevermind.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I came In with $425.00 in the upper with lower reciever parts included. Bare unfinished lower was $59.00,
View Quote

was the lower a stripped lower or an 80% lower?
If it was just a stripped lower, I was wondering where ya got it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Adco (industry partner to AR15.com) has RRA complete A2 uppers for $389 and complete RRA  A2 lowers for $210.

They also have the complete RRA A2 for $732.

You do the math. For the ungodly difficult task of pushing in the takedown pins, you save $133 dollars. Of course, you won't get that snazzy 10 round magazine with your upper and lower. I am not sure that if you bought the parts seperate, that you could do any better than this.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:06:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I definitely will be building my next AR, probably from a JT kit.  You can get a stripped lower for 88 bucks delivered, and then buy a kit for 430 and up.  Watch the board here for a group buy from JT.  So, if you have to pay for an ffl transfer and shipping on the kit...  You end up with a custom AR for right around 550.  I don't think you can beat that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:36:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Simple math equation

Parts kit 400 to 500 + 100 for a lower - no FET (federal excise tax) = savings.
View Quote

Of course, not paying your state sales tax for the kit is illegal and we members at AR15.com don't advocate illegal activities, do we? [;)]
(Not saying that you suggested this, of course)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top