Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/27/2003 1:54:20 AM EDT
At the risk of getting a good laugh at, I must get an answer to this question:

On an existing chrome moly AR barrel, is it possible to have it done/re-done in chrome??

Is there a business that does this kind of work?

T.I.A.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:05:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't heard of it.

Suggest you just rebarrel.  You can easily sell the chromoly, or keep it as a spare.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
On an existing chrome moly AR barrel, is it possible to have it done/re-done in chrome??

T.I.A.
View Quote

No without risking your retirement plan.

Just buy another barrel and replace your existing one and as stated above keep it as a spare tire.

BR

Byt the way I forgot to add....
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] and this...
[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Kind of makes sense.

I guess I'll have to get that nice 16" M4 upper from Bushmaster after all. Might as well get the whole upper [:P]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#4]
This would not be possible without reboreing, and re-rifling the barrel. You see to make a chrome lined barrel you must initially cut the barrel bore to a dimension that is .006" larger than the bore of a barrel that would not be chrome lined.

It may also be possible to do an acid etching to releive the bore, but the rifling would be all but lost in the process. But then again, covering a good rifling with chrome does almost the same thing anyway.

Stick with a button rifled 4140 or 416 SS barrel. You'll be better off and get just as long a barrel life as a chrome lined one. 80,000 rounds plus....
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:38:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Marker Machine, up in Illinois, used to advertise in the American Rifleman for years to do Chrome lining---but I haven't seen a thing on them for at least 15 years.  Had them do an M1 carbine for me 35 years ago or so and the lining held up for about 3-4000 rounds of mostly bump fire type shooting; then I started getting some peeling at the throat. Didn't affect accuracy tho. After all, it was a Carbine; not a benchrest piece[:D]

My recollection is that they only plated to a depth of about a thousanth or so.  The preplating electropolishing took off about half a thousanth so the plate only tightened up dimensions by a thousanth---not enough to cause any problems[:D].

Don't know what happened to them.  Haven't seen anything on aftermarket plating ever since they stopped advertising.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top