Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/25/2003 4:49:11 PM EDT
I buddy of mine just saw my completed BM M4 and now wants to build one for himself..However, he is extremely cheap!!! He saw an ad in SGN for Model 1 and wants to use their parts.. I have no experience with Model 1 and want to know about them. Are the uppers OK if mated to a good lower (Colt, BM, Panther Arms, ect..) or should he steer clear of them altogether. I told him he will get what he pays for, but he is insisting in doing this project at rock-bottom prices! HELP!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Go J&T distributing.  It's a LITTLE more expensive than Model 1, but you get a LOT more when you pay it.

'nuff said.

Panz
[bounce]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I've built a few AR's with Model 1 kits (internals, stocks, and complete uppers).  Never had any trouble with them.  I've got a couple Model 1 uppers that I use on my M16 also.  They make good equipment, and I plan on building my next AR with another Model 1 kit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:42:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Model 1 comes to all the local gunshows in Indianapolis. I have built a few guns on their kits. Most of them go without a hitch but every once in a while you have to swap out fire control parts to get everything just right. They are really good about taking care of you when this happens but it's a hassle if you have to deal through the mail.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I built a Model 1 kit on Eagle arms lower.  Required minor tinkering (pivot pin detent & safety selector)during assembly.  I've put about 500 rounds through it now.  Works great shoots straight.

That being said, there have been quite a few customer service problems posted in this forum when the wrong parts or defective parts arrive by UPS.

[url=users.zoominternet.net/~pcfitz]P.I.G.S.[/url]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Used Model 1 16" kit on a Eagle Arms lower and I was completely satisifed on all aspects.  Final cost was just over $500.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a couple Model 1 uppers and haven't had any problems. The seem to be good quality.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
im gonna order my upper from model 1 too. ive heard enough good things about them to feel confidant. im cheap, but not  by choice.  i got my lower parts kit from j&t and i would get my upper from them too but i want to get a dissipator and if i get it from them it will cost as much as a BM upper!! im actually gonna go ahead and get the whole kit since its only 50 bucks more.  i figure having that many extra parts around will force me to build another[:D]  or if the wife finds out, i can sell the extra parts and let her think she won one.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I almost bought Model1 kits but M&A parts had a better price on the Dissapator and certain extras.  My buddy bought Model1 and had some small pieces missing and it jammed on Russian ammo.  My M&A kits have no problems with Russian ammo and all parts went together very nicely in my Stnger lowers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I have built a varmiter from a Model 1 kit I have to tell you that I screwed up and that they were very nice and helpful in fixing my mistake. The upper matched the Oly lower perfectly and the kit was very complete. The only thing I changed after I got it was I bought a RRA 2 stage trigger.
I also have bought kits from J&T and found them to be very good quality and good customer service as well.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:24:55 AM EDT
[#10]
hey valkyire,
i didnt know m&a had dissipator kits.  i know they have mid-length kits but not the dissys where'd you see them?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:24:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Just got my Model 1 standard rifle kit on Wednesday. It's done, other than some really hard to get in roll pins, it fits fine with the Eagle Arms lower. I had no fitting issues. Haven't shot it yet though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I put a Model 1 upper on by OLD Oly lower and it is great.  Aside from my lower being out of spec (and I already knew that) it looks and more importantly, functions GREAT.  I will buy from them again.
ka
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Received my Model 1 16" Kit (FIRST AR!!) and assembled on a BM lower.
Pivot detent was too long (dremel'ed it-now OK) and the disconnect would not work when installed.  
Tried to correct disconnect for clearance but later realized (when trying to install selector) that hammer was out of spec forcing rear  of trigger up too high.
Called Model 1 and was told I'd have to send parts back-they've never heard of such a problem.
I'm an impatient type, so I went to American Spirit Arms (even though the have bad press on ar15.com) as they are local and was told that my problem was the fouth call on a Model 1 kit they've had that week!
Shipped FCG parts back to Model 1 a week and a half ago to give them the opportunity to rectify situation (maybe through some freebies of equal value since I already replaced defective parts). Have heard nothing back yet.
Any future business I have with them is dependent on how they handle this situation.
Rest of Kit seems OK, soaked upper in CLP to get right color, after that it makes a nice black rifle.
May get out to break in rifle today or tomorrow.
My $.02
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Got back from range today with my Model 1/BM 16"hbar A2.  
Ran 5 rounds, cleaning after each, then groups of five for about 30 rounds, Then shot the piss out of it.
Only problem I had was I didn't notice was the sandbag I was resting on was duct-taped and melted all over the underside of my barrel.....F@#%K!!!
Rifle shot great, and after break-in rounds I battle sight zeroed at 25yds.  Next 150 rounds went ringing steel at 100-300yds with no failures whatsoever.
Aside from getting junk FCG from Model 1 with my kit I'm very impressed and happy with my build.
Hopefully Model 1 will compensate me something for the FCG I returned.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:53:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I just ordered a 7.5" 5.56 barrel, and a 11.5" 7.62x39 barrel for my M16.

I figured they were worth a try...

I'll have it out at bulletfest if anyone wants to try it.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:00:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Aside from getting junk FCG from Model 1 with my kit I'm very impressed and happy with my build.
Hopefully Model 1 will compensate me something for the FCG I returned.
View Quote

Silly question.  What's FCG?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:04:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Fire Control Group......I think.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Have bought both a 16 and 20 from M1 and am happy with both.  No malfunctions in several hundred rounds on the 16.  Haven't fired tath many thru the 20 but so far no problems.  Also have a 16 M&A.  To me the two are the same for quality.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone have linkage to either Model 1 or J&T Distributing?

Thanks
Wcoyote
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#20]
[url]http://www.model1sales.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.jtdistributing.com/[/url]

Linkage baby.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top