Posted: 5/23/2003 5:37:18 PM EDT
need to remove them, but how?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a hand held sledge hammer and tap the top, sides and bottom.  [BD][}:D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
What I find is the easiest way is to:

Make sure chamber is clear. Put the butt of the rifle on the ground. (I'm right handed) Use my right hand to push down on the delta ring (I think that's what it's called) and remover one cover at a time. Take a little practice.

They make a tool for it, but I don't remove them enough to buy it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
You can use a desk or table and put it but end down and with one hand pull down on the delta ring and hold it down and you can work them out one side at a time bottom first.  Not hard once you get the hang of it.  Putting them back just slip the top end in and hold down the delta ring and put in the bottom.  A little harder but again, once you get the hang of it, it ain't bad.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#4]
You can do yourself a favor and build yourself one of these. Do you ned to? No, but I did and it makes taking apart the AR's and cleening them a whole lot easier.

[url]http://quartz2.cyberstation.net/~dwpaul/hgrt.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Army field manuals recommend the buddy system.  One pushes on the ring & one splits & removes the handguard.

[url=users.zoominternet.net/~pcfitz]P.I.G.S.[/url]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#6]
[b]First[/b] tape up your delta ring to help prevent scratching. Then, one person can do this by only retracting one side of the delta ring  and removing each side of the handguards one at a time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:58:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a regular pair of pliers. make sure they have rubber grips. set the rifle but on the floor and put the pliers handle around the delta ring. then you can just leverage the jaws under one leg while pushing down the delta ring.
why spend 20 bucks on a tool you will barely use and has no other use.

Lee
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:00:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Picked up a new ArmaLite a few months back and the handguards were TIGHT... needed to use the buddy system to remove them for the first time...

If you'd have heard my then girlfriend bitch and whine about the whole thing you'd understand the value of the handguard removal tool... [;)]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#9]
OK... what about removing a free-floating handguard?

If I mark the hole that the gas tube goes through, and am reasonably careful, is it reasonable to assume (with no guarantee, of course) that the thing will go together again as taken apart?

I would like to do some work on my forend, but I don't want to get in too deep! I assume this is what the 3 piece units are good for...

Pete
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#10]
dunno about your FF tube but my SIR 50 is FF and is a breeze to put on and take off, as long as i dont loc-tite it.

[img]http://members.aol.com/erouls/arsir.jpg[/img]
my first AR, aimpoint m2, arms m68, harris bi-pod, and arms 32(?) on the way!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top