Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/23/2003 6:58:01 AM EDT
Just thought I'd relate some good news, for a change, even if it is minor.  I took someone who really was totally neutral about guns, and pretty new to them in general to the range with me to let him put some lead downrange.  I brought my AR-15 (BM 2-stage lower, RRA SSA2 upper) simply because my 7mm mag was probably too much for a first time shooter.

Anyhow, he had a blast and seemed to enjoy the rifle, though he did comment on recoil being more than he expected - though not too bad (good thing about not bringing the 7-mag).  He also shot well, which is good for any new shooter.

Along with my amigo at the range was another gentleman who'd just won a NE Canada black bear hunt.  He was TOTALLY new to the world of firearms (I'm talking real experience, I think we all know TV doesn't count).  He was shooting a 30-06 bolt-gun he'd bought for the hunt.  I commented that up there that should be fine for what he was doing, but he wanted to look at what I was shooting.  OK - so I tried to make a good impression on him and I think when he left he realized that something he was a little timid at first was no different, really than his 30-06, except the bullet was smaller and recoil quite a bit less on my 'nasty black gun'.  I think his impression was overall good - I tried hard to keep my instruction to my friend and my shooting as professional as possible.

Another converted citizen?  Lets all hope so.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Good going, let me change that, Great Going.  If everyone would take just one "non-shooter" to the range and let them see first hand what it is all about, with small calibre firearms at first, and teach them safety, our numbers would double over night.  Think of how things would be,like they were in the US before the GCA of '32, everyone owned a gun of some kind and no one thought any different about it.

You were very correct in not using the 7mm, that might have scared you friend totally away from shooting.  I've seen men try to give their girl friends first time shooting lessons with a .357 Mag with +P rounds.  Needless to say, I never saw the girl friend at the range ever again.  Not the was to introduce someone to shooting.

Again, Good on ya' Mate!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top