Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/22/2003 9:53:07 AM EDT
I have a new stripped lower wanting some innards.  As this is my first build (and AR) I am not ready to splurge on a expensive trigger just yet.  e.g. Accuracy speaks, KAC two stage, RRA two Stage, etc...  So, in the $55 to $60 range found most places do any stand out as having a better trigger pull, or fewer malfunction stories, and so on?

From my reading here it seems people are impressed with both RRA parts (hence my purchase of a RRA lower) And J$T's lower parts using Colt stuff. Just would like more info.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Dogma.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the major brands buy their pieces from [url=continentalmachinetool.com/firearms.html]Continental Machine[/url] Tool, and then do their own final polishing/finishing process. I am sure that there are more DPMS lower parts installed in AR15/M16 's than any other "brand".
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree I build most of my lowers from DPMS parts.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:31:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I agree I build most of my lowers from DPMS parts.
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:59:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Mr & Mrs Haskin from GPSS [url]www.georgiaprecision.com/[/url] will take good care of you.  They have good prices and will help you out if you have any questions.  Excellent service, fast shipping, good folks.  I built my lower with their stuff, (It's RRA parts) and I am putting my barrel with their parts, i.e. spring, delta ring, etc...

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:00:47 AM EDT
[#5]
My first two AR lowers were built with DPMS parts. In both cases, the roll pins for the trigger guards were WAY oversized and I had to replace them with correctly-sized ones bought at the local hardware store.

For my third lower, I decided to go with an RRA lower parts kit, which I purchased from Steve at Adco Firearms a couple of weeks ago. For whatever reason, the hammer in the kit did NOT have a flat "shelf" at the bottom where it would normally engage the front of the hammer. In other words, the base was completely semicircular, with only a vertical notch bisecting the base. The hammer has the letters "CE II" stamped on its left side. At first, I thought I had been supplied a custom or competition hammer that needed 'smithing to be installed, but a quick call to RRA confirmed the part should have been a "drop-in." Steve is sending me a replacement hammer.

There are differences between the DPMS and RRA lower parts kits. The hammers and triggers are contoured slightly differently, and the RRA parts have a darker finish to them.

DL
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
From your responses, seems that it is just a matter of deciding which is more important to me: Finding the lowest price or staying with an all RRA lower.  As its only a matter of a couple dollars, I'll probably stick with RRA.  Thank you for all your help on this and other posts.

Dogma.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]
dleong's experience with the Rock River part kit reminds me of my own. Instead of a defective trigger though, they sent me a cracked mag release.

They have these parts made by subcontractors, and I guess they figure it's easier to let the customer do the final inspection, than pay someone at their plant to do inspections.

That pisses me off royally

Their recievers and barrels are good quality pieces, but I'll not spend any more money on internals with them.  Oh yeah, the bolt head I got from them had edges so sharp you could darn near cut your finger on them.  That's an open invitation to 1)shaving brass shreds off the back of the cases, eventually causing malfunctions (and how mwny posts have we seen on those events?), and 2)paving the way for the bolt head cracking at the hole (and how many post have we seen on aftermarket bolt doing that?)

Put a GI surp, Colt made, bolt in mine, traded off the RR piece towards a Colt upper, and haven't looked back[:D]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top