Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/20/2003 5:19:13 PM EDT
I've been hanging around this forum for about 6 months now, I think.  It seems like there are more and more threads wanting comparisons between Model 1 and J&T.  So, after using both companies, here is my opinion for those of you that care.

First, I only have about 4 months of experience with AR's, so take this for what it's worth.  I have been doing a lot with handguns and aftermarket parts for several years, so I have experienced good and bad quality and customer service.

My first and only AR is a J&T carbine kit on a Eagle Arms lower.  This little rifle shoots great, functions all the time and frankly, looks cool.  The finish on the upper is top notch and matches the lower almost perfectly.

The parts for the lower appeared to be of very high quality.  I didn't even have to knock any burrs off when I put the lower together.  The parts fit together great and have given me no problems.  

As for J&T's customer service, they were great to me when I had a couple of questions before and after buying the kit.  

Now for the Model 1 review.  My father wanted an AR after seeing and shooting mine.  Being a little impatient, he bought a Model 1 kit from Ranger sales at a gun show in Michigan.  At first, the guy thought they were out of a couple of lower parts so he was going to ship them out the next week.  Then he "found" some extras stashed away in a box.  I was not impressed.

The finish of the upper was nowhere near the quality of the J&T kit.  Yes, its black and comes close to matching an Eagle Arms lower, but it doesn't look quite as good as the J&T.  

The quality of the lower parts in this kit were not even close to those that came with my J&T kit.  While I was putting the lower together, my father was stoning burrs off of parts that I didn't have to worry about out of the J&T kit.  The thing that really concerned me with the J&T kit was the fact that the retainer in the hammer was loose and did not positively engage the hammer pin the way it should have.  We were able to tighten this up, but I don't think we should have needed to.  

Do both guns work?  So far, yes.  We haven't yet put them through any kind of torture test, but they have both functioned properly (minus one little mistake I made with a spring).  

My advice for those looking to put a kit together, from limited experience, is to spend the extra $50 and go with a J&T kit.

Sorry I'm long winded, just needed to share the info.
Scott
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks man.  I think J&T is where it is at for building AR's too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#2]
After all the posts I have read, most say to go w/ the J&T kit. For the $50's more, it is better to be safe then sorry. I have been waiting for someone to have a direct comparison between the two.
Now for a monkey wrench, What about the M&A kits? Which would you get J&T or M&A?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I read another thread that talked about burrs in the bore from the gas hole in J&T's barrels.  I did not find this in my J&T Carbine kit.  In fact, it was of equal quality to other uppers I have, and has functioned flawlessly.  I am nearing the 1000 rnd mark, and still have not had one single failure to fire... not one.  No "break-in jams", nothing.  It has gone "BANG" every time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:33:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I read another thread that talked about burrs in the bore from the gas hole in J&T's barrels.  I did not find this in my J&T Carbine kit.  In fact, it was of equal quality to other uppers I have, and has functioned flawlessly.  I am nearing the 1000 rnd mark, and still have not had one single failure to fire... not one.  No "break-in jams", nothing.  It has gone "BANG" every time.
View Quote

That was me with the burr. The response was that it was normal and just shoot it out. I did and have had zero problems/jams/malfunctions with my J&T 16" carbine. Great gun.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:28:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
After all the posts I have read, most say to go w/ the J&T kit. For the $50's more, it is better to be safe then sorry. I have been waiting for someone to have a direct comparison between the two.
Now for a monkey wrench, What about the M&A kits? Which would you get J&T or M&A?
View Quote

My M&A kit was flawless, no burrs, no plastic parts, everything fit the first time. Color match to my Eagle Arms lower was very good. Fit to the lower was tight. I'd buy from M&A again.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top