Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/20/2003 11:33:36 AM EDT
Have early Colt 1/12 thin profile barrel, free float tube, and flat top.

Would like to make into a varmit rig.

Will the thin barrel heat up if I put 5 or 6 quick rounds through it and the point of impact start to wander?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#1]
No, you would have to put at least several hundred rounds, a la "full auto" through it before you would see or notice barrel warp.
Thinner barrel heats, but also dissipates heat faster.
Remember, these weapons were made to take it, So shoot it like you stole it!
Edited to add:
If you really want good accuracy you may want to rebarrel your rifle to a tighter twist rate, Maybe a 1 in 9, helps on stablizing the bullet.
Also gives you a wider choice of bullet weight.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Actualy I was thinking of building and upper just like this only I would probably go with a little faster twist as GS808 suggests.  Just use lighter bullets at higher velocities.

The POI may/will wander a little as a smaller barrel won't dissipate the heat as rapidly as a heavey barrel.  Less surface area to move heat into the air around the barrel.  I was going to use one of those aluminum one piece free float hand guards that is also the barrel nut and drill or mill ventilating slots and or holes all along it.  

6 fast rounds and leave the bolt back and it should cool down fast.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top