Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 5:17:17 PM EDT
I am new to this forum and to AR15's. I have read most of the posts and think this site is awesome. I am looking into building a ar15 myself.

Let me see if I have this correct:

I need to buy a stripped lower receiver and a lower parts kit.

I also need to buy a complete upper.

Is this correct. Will the above include grip stock, and everything needed to have a complete rifle.

It seems most people are buying the complete upper from J&t and the lowers from different sources.

I am confused now on the different types of ar 15's, a4, carbine etc.. I will try and read on to get more info on these different models.

If anyone could enlighten me more I would appreciate it.

Sorry for the newbie questions.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am new to this forum and to AR15's. I have read most of the posts and think this site is awesome. I am looking into building a ar15 myself.

Let me see if I have this correct:

I need to buy a stripped lower receiver and a lower parts kit.
View Quote

[blue]Or get a complete lower which comes assembled, either way, you still have to go through a FFL dealer to get one[/blue]

I also need to buy a complete upper.
View Quote

[blue]Or just get the parts one at a time and put that together yourself.  But you will have the additional cost of the tools, but once you have them, you have them.[/blue]

Is this correct. Will the above include grip stock, and everything needed to have a complete rifle.
View Quote

[blue]If you purchase a "kit", that is a complete upper with all of the rest of the parts to assemble a rifle, minus the stripped lower.[/blue]

It seems most people are buying the complete upper from J&t and the lowers from different sources.
View Quote

[blue]Whomever, shop around.[/blue]

I am confused now on the different types of ar 15's, a4, carbine etc.. I will try and read on to get more info on these different models.
View Quote

[blue]Kinda like a car: do you want a convertable, a sports car, a SUV ... What floats your boat, makes your putter flutter....[/blue]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I was in the same boat a couple of months ago, but this site provided a 'hyper-education' in "Advanced Black Rifle Philosophy"....you're definitely in the right place. Your build scenario is basically correct. Can be approached a couple different ways. Simplest way is to get a stripped lower, and purchase a 'Rifle Kit' from any one of several distributors. The kits include assembled uppers, guts for the lower, and your buttstock. Slap it together and you're rockin'. Or you can hand pick all the components piece meal, and build from scratch (best if doing this to buy the upper assembled and headspaced). I'm sure you'll get some more informed feedback from others on this board. Good luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
best if doing this to buy the upper assembled and headspaced).
View Quote

Actually, the headspace is set by the barrel extension with comes on most barrels that you would purchase from an AR distributor/dealer.  Of course, you can purchase a “specialty” barrel and add the barrel extension yourself.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top