AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/15/2003 2:21:14 PM EDT
Just completed this AR for a customer.
-Rock River matched upper and lower.
-DPMS lower parts kit and buttstock.
-Hogue grip.
-JP trigger and hammer kit.
-DPMS ext. wide speed safety.
-JP 18" Intermediate Weight Super Match Barrel.
-Bennie Cooley Tactical Compensator
-JP AR Gas system.
-Clark Custom carbon fiber free-float tube.

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, that really looks sweet!

I used to not like the Carbon Fiber handguards, but with the SS yours makeds me think twice about whay i use to think.

Let us know how well it shoots!
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#2]
got about 3/4 done with breaking in the barrel last night. the customer did most of the shooting. I shot 3 rounds without a scope mounted. The gun weights only 7.5 lbs and it shoots like it has a heavy barrel. Will shoot it for accuracy this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:56:47 AM EDT
[#3]
stinger, nice looking rifle.  What is its intended purpose or is it just a GP rifle?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:29:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks great.  How do you like the carbon fiber forend?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:32:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks really good!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:38:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
stinger, nice looking rifle.  What is its intended purpose or is it just a GP rifle?
View Quote

I built it for a customer of mine. He will mostly use it for 3-gun matches.
Originally Posted RAMBOSKY:
By Looks great. How do you like the carbon fiber forend?
View Quote

I like it so much that im going to build one for myself. Its superlight and very ridged. It was a pain in the ass to put on though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is a pic of the Carbon Fiber on my 440 Corbon. They really look sharp with the stainless.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11397[/img]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Stinger built this AR for me and did a great job.  I did the barrel break-in last week, then took it to the local 3-gun shoot Sunday.  
It shoots great.  About 175 rounds thru it so far w/ zero malfunctions shooting Ultramax 55 gr FMJBT.
The comp holds the muzzle steady, and the JP adjustable gas block lets me reduce the amount of gas going to the bolt, so it cycles a lot softer.  It gets enough gas to reliably lock the bolt back, but no more.  
The Clark carbon fiber forearm looks great, and is about 7 oz lighter than an aluminum tube.  And it will not heat up during high volume shooting.
The JP trigger breaks at 3 3/4 pounds.
No serious accuracy testing yet, so no info in that department, but I'm sure the JP barrel will do under 1" using good ammo.
Glad you all liked the pics.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm still a newbie, but I just wanted to say that hadguard is "SICK"!  I love carbon fiber accessories on my motorcycle and car, I didn't even know you could get them for the AR too!  Anyone have any links for carbon, shorty handguards (dont mean to hijack).  I'm sold!  I really like that compensator too, how's that function for you?

stinger-  Very nice looking piece of equipment!!!

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#10]
link for handguard [url]http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=4998[/url]
Thats where I got it from.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#11]
NICE!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#12]
This is where I got mine.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=147858&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's the link to another manufacturer of carbon handguards:

[url]www.hiperform.com[/url]

Rod Holland will also custom cut his units to any length you want.  Excellent workmanship and a great guy to work with.  Very customer oriented.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#14]
alkoe,
The comp works very well.  The muzzle has very little movement during firing. Recoil is almost non-existant.  There are 4 small holes on the top, and a small hole on the right hand side on the flat surface behind the 2 big holes.  JP asks if the shooter is right or left handed.  I guess they add a hole to the side of the port to prevent indexing during recoil to that side.  JP makes it in several thread patterns.  When purchased w/ thier barrel, it has 5/8x28 threads.  
Bottom line--it works very well, and looks really cool.  What more could one ask?  
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#15]
what kind of vise is that
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Craftsman 6 in. Bench Vise
got it a few months ago for $50 from Sears
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Stinger, very nice, I have installed two of the carbon Clarks, bitch to get a grip on. I have a question for ya...I was uneasy on putting the stud in (have not done it yet), any suggestions? That is a very brittle resin and I am afraid of splintering.
Thank you
Robert
www.sableco.net
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:40:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a question for ya...I was uneasy on putting the stud in (have not done it yet), any suggestions? That is a very brittle resin and I am afraid of splintering.
Thank you
Robert
www.sableco.net
View Quote

I put a bit of masking tape over the spot where i was going to drill. Just went really slow. The inside splintered a little. Used the supplied aulm. spacer to make the mount more ridged. Used a stud from Brownells that was made for free float tubes.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top