Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2003 6:53:38 PM EDT
From the ARFCOM lower receiver assembly instructions:

This is perhaps the hardest part of the lower assembly, so if available, install the installation tool.

So, on my first lower, I thought about this for a while and did the following:

Inserted the spring and then the detent on top of it.  Pushed the detent down with the pivot pin itself.  Then slowly pushed the pin into place.  The detent snaped into place, and all was well with the world.

Then I thought it was just too easy - beginner's luck, perhaps.  So just to prove it to myself I bought another lower and tried it again.  Low and behold!  Same results.  Super easy, no special tools required.

Perhaps this has been discussed before.  In any case, if you are gonna do it, this method has worked well for me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
ya, the install is not that hard, now to get it back out... that's a bit harder.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
ya, the install is not that hard, now to get it back out... that's a bit harder.
View Quote

Tiny little screwdriver.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:29:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

SOME front pins are drilled so you can can disengage the detent...works really well!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:24:09 AM EDT
[#4]
i always liked my method of shooting the detent across teh room two or three times and then ordering a 50 cent piece.

ahhh..the pleasures of the first AR build.
The second one, I did the way described above.  Much easier!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:25:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is perhaps the hardest part of the lower assembly, so if available, install the installation tool.
View Quote

Inserted the spring and then the detent on top of it.  Pushed the detent down with the pivot pin itself.  Then slowly pushed the pin into place.  The detent snaped into place, and all was well with the world.

Then I thought it was just too easy - beginner's luck, perhaps.  So just to prove it to myself I bought another lower and tried it again.  Low and behold!  Same results.  Super easy, no special tools required.

Perhaps this has been discussed before.  In any case, if you are gonna do it, this method has worked well for me.
View Quote

That method worked after I cut about 1/16 - 1/8 inch off of the spring. The pin still snaps in to place REALLY firmly, so I'm thinking that maybe I got an out of spec spring?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I have built a few without a tool and then I saw a post here where someone suggested a cheap 1/4-inch clevis pin.  It works great and I haven't had to search for a detent since.

It is so easy to have one of these little buggers fly off and a clevis pin is less than $2.  I think it is a worthy investment, even if you are a genius!

Congrats of your first assembly!  Now you need to try an 80% [:)]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#7]
He He He!

I thought crawling around on the floor was part of the assembly instructions.

Congrats on the new build!
[beer]
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 4:55:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Exactly what I did as a Small Arms Repairman in the Corps.  Enjoy your toy!

Noah
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I just built my first lower, no special tools needed except the 3/32 punch.  No springs or detens shooting across the room either, guess I'm lucky....well my kit did come with the wrong barrel caliber, so maybe not ;)
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:29:56 AM EDT
[#10]
[center][b]well my kit did come with the wrong barrel caliber, so maybe not ;)[/center][/b]

Who did you order your kit from?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:05:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Wrong caliber?  WTF?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:45:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I just finished my M4gery last night.

I did have the detent pin fly across the room once.  Took an add'l 1/2 hour searching for the $#@!&*(&#~ SOB.

What I used actually worked well afterwards was using feeler gauge for a vehicle.  These feeler gauge is used for valve adjustment on my BMW and it worked great because it had different depth and I choose a .010 and it was perfect flexibility to press the detent pin down while sliding the pivot pin in.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I just put together my M4gery last nite, and used the pivot pin to hold down the detent and it worked great!  [:D]

I wonder though - do you have to use a punch to get the takedown pin and pivot pin to move so you can separate the receivers?  There's no way I can get it to loosen with just my fingers...  [smash]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, that should have been mentioned I guess?

I normally try to flatten or round the point on my pivot pin detents.  This will make it easier for the detent to get out of the hole in the pivot pins!  It also helps the detent not to drag on the pin beyond the recess in the pivot pin.  I also suggest a little lube and then it's just a matter of sliding her in and out a few times.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, your takedown pins will be tight at first.  They will get somewhat easier with use.  I do not think this is a fault; I would much rather have them tight than loose.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top