Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/10/2003 11:37:38 PM EDT
I'd love to build an AR built on an 80% lower.  However, it seems as though it would cast an arm, a leg and a left testicle to do so.  Is this true, or do I have the wrong impression.

Thanks,

TS
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:12:41 AM EDT
[#1]
the expence is primarily in the tooling. a good jig could cost as much as a rifle, but you could use it to build an entire armory. so that cost is dissipated over the life of the jig.

then there is the kit you buy to put on the thing. roughly for mystery parts its about 400-500$$

lets not forget time, the first few recivers will likely take 10-12 hours to make.

if you only want to make 1 rifle, it really is a waste of money. but if you are like me, you will likely make dosens over time. thats, why i am takeing the plunge now.

i will be placeing my order sometime later this month for a jig and at least three 80% recivers.

plus, no paperwork.....
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
plus, no paperwork.....
View Quote

That's why I want to do it.

TS
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh sure, it would be nice to have a machine shop to complete your project. But the majority of 80% blanks get finished in garages using basic tools.
[url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=148435]BIY lower build site listing[/url]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the link, NoTack.  I BTT'd it for people in the same shape/state of mind as myself.

TS

Edited for three letter acronym correction.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked up a little mini mill for gun projects.  I have made 6 AR15 lowers, 2 AR10s, 3 1911s, and 3 AK47s.  I actually enjoy making this stuff more than shooting it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I am debating building a 1911 and a couple 228s, and I am trying to decide wether or not I can cut the rails correctly. How doid you do it? was it hard? what tools did you use?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I picked up a little mini mill for gun projects.
View Quote

Could you post a little info on the mill?
And maybe some background on your particular experience and skill level, such as are you a trained machinist, or did you pick it up as you went along?
I'm very interested in doing the same thing, but don't have much more than a wrench-turning background and no one to teach me.

Thanks, Otto
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am debating building a 1911 and a couple 228s, and I am trying to decide wether or not I can cut the rails correctly. How doid you do it? was it hard? what tools did you use?
View Quote

Its easy with a mill.  I used a 3/32" carbide end mill.  I left the rails slightly undersized then lapped them with the slided using valve grinding paste.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I picked up a little mini mill for gun projects.
View Quote

Could you post a little info on the mill?
And maybe some background on your particular experience and skill level, such as are you a trained machinist, or did you pick it up as you went along?
I'm very interested in doing the same thing, but don't have much more than a wrench-turning background and no one to teach me.

Thanks, Otto
View Quote

I had never done any machining whatsoever when I decided to get into this. I purchased a mini-mill from Harbor Freight (same machine available from Grizzly, with the possible exception of spindle type) and a book from Amazon.  I learned on some scrap.  Also, I probably spent half again as much money on tooling, a vice, clamping kit, etc., as on the mill itself.

I made the 1911 from from the 80% castings.  The two AR10s were made from 50% billet lowers that ARs4EVER was selling.  On the AR15s,  two of them were started from 50% forgings (again from AR4EVER) and the rest were from the solid 0% blanks sold by DSA.

I made the AKs from the bent-metal.com blanks and Interordnance kits.

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I have made 6 AR15 lowers, 2 AR10s, 3 1911s, and 3 AK47s.....I had never done any machining whatsoever when I decided to get into this.
View Quote

Ah, so there's hope yet.  Thanks!
Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Nevada--- Can you give us more details about the mill? Model, specs, price?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nevada--- Can you give us more details about the mill? Model, specs, price?
View Quote

[url]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44991[/url]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top