Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2003 1:29:55 PM EDT
I know there's a gazillion posts on this but I searched the past 30 days and found no conclusive procedure.

Building a model one 16"hbar kit next week (ordered wed nite, shipped thurs am) and want to know the best way to braek in a chrome-moly unlined barrel?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean the rifle at home. Take it to the range, and fire a few rounds, clean.  A few more, clean, a few more, clean.  Heck, that's enough fooling around... fire it until you run out of ammo, and clean it at home.  It's broke in.

---

Naw... tell you what I REALLY did with my kit from J&T (Shaw bbl):  I ran a brush thru it at home about 5 strokes, then a couple of patches.  Left the cleaning kit at home and went to the range, plugged in a USGI 30 rnd mag, and blasted 30 rnds through it.  Cool, it ran thru all 30 rnds without a hickup.  Let it cool a few minutes, plugged in another mag, and did the same thing.  Again, no malfunction.  Ok, that was broke in enough for me.  I sighted it in, and then finished off another few mags, shooting more slowly.  It's run just fine ever since.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You know, I've been shooting ARs and M16s for over 25 years, and I never even heard of "barrel break in" until I got to this web site.  I don't know who started this fantasy; maybe some substandard barrel maker who wants the shooter to smooth out the rough spots in his poorly finished pieces by "lapping them with bullets";  but basically it's a crock.

Hell, you'll put more wear on a barrel by overcleaning it than you will by shooting it.  Me, I run a wet patch once each way, and then two or three dry patches after every fourth or fifth trip to the range---when it crosses my mind[:D]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top