Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2003 6:47:27 AM EDT
I am interested in a AR 7.62x39 the reciever shown at AR47 looks like an interesting solution to the magazine problems. Does any one know if these have been released yet or has any built on on this lower or seen on function?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow.  Except for the price, that thing looks hella cool.  I'd own one in a second, except that I simply won't pay that much.  

I've long thought about picking up an 80% lower and modifying the front part.  I'm sure it'd be a mess and would take quite a bit of time, but I love the idea of using AK mags.  They're just so darn reliable.  Probably if I did it, I'd try to figure out a way to cut a slot in the side of AK mags so as to allow "drop free" use with the AR mag catch.   (BATF says if you add a mag catch location, but the mag still works in the weapon for which it was designed, you haven't manufactured a new mag).

Hmm... maybe that'll be a project.

Ultimately, I'd think that the first guy to successfully do this would be able to supply some design info stuff to tanneryshop and the others who make 80% receivers.  Then they could sell an 80% "ak mag ready" receiver, that would be cast with the right shape and whatnot.    
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Supposed to be released this week. I saw them at Knob Creek. Looks pretty nice.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:30:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I will get excited when someone makes one out of steel with a new upper system that uses the dirt loving AK Piston System!

It will not be cheap, but it would be a first rate US Made system that would do everything the AKs can do but with the modular characteristics of the AR-15/M-16 platform!

With the AK mag, I love to think about the additional cartridges that could be used with such a system!  I just wish I had the money to get a mill and try to work on an hybrid that combines the AK and AR systems with a little more AK and the basic upper/lower concept as demonstrated by the AR-15!  Add to this the abuility to accept AR accessories including stocks, grips, forend grips (obvious issue with a piston system) and you would have a system that the Special Forces would love to use in conditions where the AK out performs the AR platform...

If you combine this with a locking bolt (like the AR-15), and adjustable gas system (like the FAL), plus the other items I desribed above... I might just argue this could be the best weapon system the world has ever seen!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#4]
If you combine this with a locking bolt (like the AR-15), and adjustable gas system (like the FAL), plus the other items I desribed above... I might just argue this could be the best weapon system the world has ever seen!
View Quote

Sounds kinda like you want a Holloway Arms HAC-7. http://www.biggerhammer.net/hac7/hac7_manual/

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Honest to god, I didn't see that page before but lookat this...

[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/hac7/[/url]

I hate to think that great minds think alike but obviously Bob Holloway and myself had come to very similar oppinions on this!

Now all we need is this same concept to be used in an assault weapon cartridge regardless of what the next AW cartridge should be...

Thanks for the link!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top