Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/8/2003 10:23:07 PM EDT
I hate to throw things away... I posted a while back that my barrel doesn't align right with the extension on. My question now is would it be possible to install the extension, and then plug the old gas hole and drill new sight block and gas holes? Or am I just crazy?

Second question, how does the indexing pin fit into the extension? I've tried to get it in, but it just doesn't want to fit. Looks like the hole in the extension might be too small. Got both parts from Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I think you are crazy.  No not really, but frustrated.  You will see your problem posted on this site all the time.  "the dreaded canted front sight" problem.  If you want a quick and dirty fix, trash the original front site and replace it with an Armalite unit that is held on by two allen-head bolts.  It clamps on rock solid and it will allow you to get a mechanical zero.  I installed one on a crooked Bushy.

You will see a lot of solutions and gunsmithing remedeys but the problem is the alignment pin on the barrel extension is not indexed properly with the front sight. One fix is to remove the sight pins align the front sight and ream the holes and re-install the pins.

I've heard people say they open up the slot on the upper receiver to get the barrel to cock to one side but to me thats just creating another problem to solve one.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:21:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Headspace with bolt till correct, drill into barrel, press extension pin on.  Old gas hole can be welded or screwed; just don't expect the best accuracy from this barrel.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Another way is to trash the existing sight,install a new low gas block attachimg with allen screws,and put the barrel on a flattop with a scope.The pin does go in, try a press.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top