Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2003 9:59:52 AM EDT
Hello everyone,

I am brand new to this and looking for a little help :)

I have always wanted to get an AR15 and I happy to find out out you can build one but I am not sure how to get started. Can someone possibly give me some pointers. I have read though most of the posts here and don't see anyone asking this question so please excuse my ignorance. I don't really just want to go off and start ordering parts without confirming what to get.

I saw that someone posted a PDF of all the internal parts. Do you have to order each part individually? Can you just order a complete upper and lower?

Thanks in advance.
Great forum by the way.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#1]
The easiest way to get started is to buy a complete lower and a complete upper and put them together. The cheapest way is to buy a stripped lower and a kit that includes a complete upper and the parts to complete the lower. The stripped lowers are about $100 plus the transfer fees through your local FFL. The kits are $400 and up, shipped to your door. Most recommendations go to J&T Distributing for kits, but there are 6 or so that you see mentioned frequently. With the instructions on this website, you can do the assembly in an hour or less. Don't fotget to get some ammo and magazines.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply Koke,

You mentioned FFL. Being that I live in California do you know if this will cause a problem? Can you order parts but not the whole setup.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I also live in the PRK, and as near as I can tell, we have a couple of lawful options: (1) the DPMS single-shot lower, that's right, no mag well; and (2) the FAB-10 lower which is limited to a 10-round capacity. There is one upside to these limitations, and that is that you can trick out your rifle with all sorts of features like telescoping stock, flash suppreser, etc., because by definition, the gun is not an AW.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm ok.

So can I say buy an upper like one of the following. I take it this needs to go through an FFL.

http://www.quanticoarms.com/armalite/armaliteTopEnds.htm

In this list I see that there is a M15A2 National Match Upper: which is the only one that has a selection for Post Ban. Do you think that I would only be able to order one of those? Or would any be ok?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#5]
One other big question here :)

Do you have to be in law inforcemnt to order an upper/lower.

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#6]
You do NOT need an FFL for an upper receiver (bare or assembled).
You DO need an FFL for the lower receiver, which has the serial number.

There is one upside to these limitations, and that is that you can trick out your rifle with all sorts of features like telescoping stock, flash suppreser, etc., because by definition, the gun is not an AW.
View Quote

*IF* kernelpanic is right (I don't know CA's laws) then pre- or post- ban upper makes no difference. The rest of the uppers on the page appear to be post-bans and would be fine on any AR.

Ordering: Anyone can order an upper - they're not federally controlled. My usual process for ordering a lower:
[list=1][*]Talk to an FFL and tell them what you plan to do[/*]
[*]Call the supplier and place the order - make payment and tell them who your FFL is[/*]
[*]Ask the FFL to send their paperwork to the supplier[/*]
[*]When the lower arrives, go to the FFL and fill out your paperwork, give him the transfer fee and drive off with a big, silly grin[/*]
[/list=1]
Depending on the supplier and your location, they may already have an FFL with paperwork on file, which would make things go a little faster. Also, some places in your area may have a CA legal lower in stock, which would also speed things up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#7]
First welcome to the board and you came to the right place.

The lower is considered a rifle with all the same restrictions, registrations, of a rifle.  Which means if you can buy a rifle you can buy a lower.

First advice, read around the board and get a real good idea what type of AR you would like to start with. Visit the manufacturers sites.  Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Koke gave some good advice.  Best to start with a complete upper and kits are the least expensive way to go.  You'll find out alot of other stuff along the way.

Building is not hard and the guys here will share their tricks.  Beware of the opinionated it's the best cause I own one and listen to the I have severals.  

Ultimate warning is that it is a rifle system not just a gun and the options are limitless.  They are like Lays potato chips and no one can have just one.

Welcome to the home of the Black Rifle and be prepared for the Black Rifle Fever.

Tj

Whoops, just saw you are in CA. You are limited to a lower with fixed mag.  Post in the CA section of hometowns for more input.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the info TJ,

This has always something that I wanted to get in to and I am sure after one there will be more.

The reason that I asked about the law enforcment issue is that I contacted Bushmaster and they said NO WAY!! if you are not in law enforcment. I just asked about upper/lower etc. O well.

But back to me building one of these.

So I guess that all of the restrictions apply to the lower and not the upper?

I will take a look at the CA section of hometowns.

More questions to come if you don't mind :)

Thank you
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top