Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2003 3:48:04 AM EDT
i just got this new bolt and carrier assembly from del-ton for $95.00 complete and i noticed the gas key screws are not staked. what tool do some of you use to stake these? and i am going to check the torque on the gas key screws. what is the proper torque in inch pounds for these. i have the army manual but i read somewhere that their torque specs ain't tight enough to stop  leakage. this bolt looks great but now i guess i should have bought a bushmaster assembly for the extra $30.00.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:22:18 AM EDT
[#1]
35-40 inch pound, and I prefer to stake in 3 places. Best tool for staking is a "center punch" with nice sharp point.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I also have a carrier key that I need to stake but I was also planning on using Red Locktite on the screws does anyone know who might carry that locally? I checked Lowes and they didn't have any.

Sarge
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I also have a carrier key that I need to stake but I was also planning on using Red Locktite on the screws does anyone know who might carry that locally? I checked Lowes and they didn't have any.

Sarge
View Quote

Autoparts stores in your area will have it. You want 271 Loctite.

j_g_r
Use a good prick punch and stake the side of the key deforming towards the screw once on each side. Don't get crazy, just a small defromation is all that's required.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:10:15 AM EDT
[#4]
staked it with a center punch and all is well, i hope. as for torqueing, i found a 1/8th hex bit that fit my inch pound torque wrench but it was to loose(they must be millimeter), so i just used a hex wrench, they were tight so i just gave them an extra crank, the screws didn't snap but they did slightly move, then i staked them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#5]
My factory staked Bushmaster key came loose on me last weekend after spending several days replacing this/swapping that piece between my 2 AR's to determine why I was having cycling problems.

Thankfully someone had the necessary tools on hand and the problem was fixed in 5 minutes, and the gun ran like a champ the rest of the afternoon.

Moral of the story:The $30 you saved may not have saved you the hassle, and now you know one more very useful thing about building ARs.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Saved $30, but had to stake it yourself?  Sounds like a good deal to me![:D]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top