Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2003 12:45:21 PM EDT
I keep seeing signatures that say "go chrome or go home" and the like... I'm not usually one to cave to peer pressure, but I found an RRA M4 w/ chrome lining that I could get pretty reasonably.

On the other hand, I have been really wanting to build my own, but don't want to pay extra for the chrome-lined kits/uppers.

So, is chrome-lining important enough that it should dissuade me from building my own if it means using a chrome/moly?

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless I intended it for target shooting or hunting only, I wont own an non-chrome lined barrel.  IMHO it IS that important to reliability.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The J&T kits dont come with chrome lined unless upgraded, and j&t kids receive only rave reviews. I've done research and the non chrome barrels won't last as long, but I don't think I'll be firing enough bullets in my lifetime to wear out the expectet timeline of a non chrome barrel
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Here are the two reasons why I own chrome-lined barrels:

1. They are easier to clean (I'm lazy and hate cleaning guns)

2. They require no break-in (I'm lazy and don't feel like taking the time to properly break a barrel in)

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Reliable extraction with commercial and mil-spec ammo under harsh conditions or with a filthy gun is the BEST reason for chrome lining.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's my take on it.

Utility/SHTF rifle = I desire Chrome Lined Bore.

Target/Hunting rifle = Give me Stainless or Chrome Moly and the time to clean every 20 rounds.

That's me, I may not be right, it won't be the first time.

Regards...

MM419
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 rifles atm.

One is a complete factory Bushy Dissipator I bought some time ago.  It has a chrome lined barrel.

One is a kit from Sarco that I finally got to work properly and shoot to point of aim today.

The Sarco one looks cool but has no chrome lining in the barrel surface.

The Bushy looks neutered and weird with its bare, stubby muzzle sticking out only about 2 inches from the front sight tower.

Guess which one I'll grab when I need a rifle to function every time to save my butt...

That's right.  The Sarco sits on my wall.  The Bushy sits on my Grab-N-Go rack.

So, build what you want.  But if you're only building ONE, and it's for saving your butt or putting meat on the table under conditions adverse or otherwise, then let that tagline stand:

"Go Chrome, or go home."

It's just that simple.

Chrome stays cleaner, is easier to clean when it gets dirty, wears better, aids extraction (Chrome lined chamber is slicker than a steel one)...

All of these are subtle differences when all you do is take your rifle out of the safe, take it to the range, fire 300 rounds, smile, go home, have a beer, clean your rifle at your leisure and then pack it up in your safe...

But if you ever have to COUNT on that rifle to SAVE YOUR ASS...

...You want every advantage you can get, big OR small.

Go Chrome.

Panz
[bounce]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
2nd what M4arc said.

my AK has a chrome lined barrel and it cleans very quickly.  that'sprobably the number 1 reason i went with a BM barrel on my carbine.

also, sometimes i feel lazy about cleaning and don't get a guilty feeling about my chrome lined weapons.  all the other get cleaned immediately after shooting.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I own
4 AK's
2 FAL's
4 AR's
All but the stg-58a have chrome lined  bores and "milspec chambers".

Unless you are paper punching for money or trophies, I'll bet you will never know the difference, but what do I know.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the great advice... I decided to go w/ the chrome-lined, an RRA M4gery built by Pete in NH. I'll post pictures and first impressions when it gets here.

Someday I'll save up and spend the cash needed to build an Armalite or Bushy chrome-lined.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Chrome is unnecessary unless you swim with your gun every day and are too lazy to clean it.

Otherwise plain steel (chrome molydenum alloy) or stainless steel are just fine and are inherently more accurate anyway.  Hundreds of millions of gun barrels have been made on this planet before chrome plating was invented for people that don't take care of their toys.

It's the old argument.....which is best, Ford or Chevrolet??

Choose what feels good to you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 3:14:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the great advice... I decided to go w/ the chrome-lined, an RRA M4gery built by Pete in NH. I'll post pictures and first impressions when it gets here.

Someday I'll save up and spend the cash needed to build an Armalite or Bushy chrome-lined.
View Quote

Pete does a great job.I got my RRA chrome-lined barrel from him.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:45:29 AM EDT
[#12]
How 'bout this?

Go stainless, it's painless!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Bah.  I prefer:

"Make mine chrome-moly, by-golly!" ;)

--Otter
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Question,

I picked up a barrel from the EE.  It's a Colt Pre-ban Sporter II HBAR.  It's got stampted

C MP 5.56 NATO HBAR 1/7.

How do you know if it's a chrome barrel?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Since it's a Colt you can be sure that it has a chrome-lined chamber, but you have to look and see if the bore is lined.  If it is, you should see a ring of silver around the muzzle.  Somebody (I think it was Troy) had a picture showing what to look for, but I didn't save a copy to post.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#16]
C=Chrome bore

MP=Magnetic particle inspection(magna-flux)

1/7,1/9 etc is twist rate
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#17]
i think the correct AR15.COM response is          [size=5]GET BOTH[/SIZE=5]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
C=Chrome bore

MP=Magnetic particle inspection(magna-flux)

1/7,1/9 etc is twist rate
View Quote

Actually, the "C" denotes the manufacture.  In this case Colt.  Bushmaster barrels are stamped with a "B"

If you see C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 that means it's a Colt barrel.

Here's where I found the information: [url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Mike_L/bgenlvtex/M4arc

Thank you. [beer]

So it's neither chromed lined chamber or bored, can the chamber and bore be chrome lined after the fact?

Just curious.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#20]
What are the accuracy shooters using I ask?  Not chrome!!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I guess the guys have about covered all but one reason I like my chrome barrel rifles and it's not just the barrel. It's the chamber.

Otherwise, all of the listed above apply as well.

In a SHTF or actual extended field use, the chrome in the chamber will help prevent corrosion which could create jams.

Otherwise, as a slightly better bench/range rifle or field with good cleaning techniques, non-chrome is just fine.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mike_L/bgenlvtex/M4arc

Thank you. [beer]

So it's neither chromed lined chamber or bored, can the chamber and bore be chrome lined after the fact?

Just curious.

Thanks again.
View Quote

Just because it's not marked chrome lined doesn't mean that it isn't chromed.  All chambers are chrome lined and have been for a very long time.  Don't worry, your pre-ban barrel is chrome lined, chamber and bore.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:03:03 AM EDT
[#23]
i said it in the past and I'll say it again, You guys rock.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#24]
The chrome bore was much more necessary on the AK47 due to the corrosive ammo.

If you are really worried about corrosion...

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#25]
C= COLT....ahhh so,thank you very much.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top