Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2003 8:20:51 PM EDT
What are the major diffrences between these bolt carriers? What is Standard? Is Chrome worth the extra money?  Any suggestions which one? And why? Thanks for any info provided. Sorry for the FNG question.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What are the major diffrences between these bolt carriers? What is Standard? Is Chrome worth the extra money?
View Quote

Standard is Parkerized, you can guess what chrome is [BD] and the Titanium is usually TiN which is a titanium nitride coating.

I have yet to wear out a standard bolt carrier.
It's your money, buy what you like.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Since all three are WAY harder than the aluminum receiver in which they slide... guess which will wear out first?

The TiN and Chrome plated ones do have an advantage in that they will not corrode... but the carrier is always oily, and the way it is contained in the upper receiver, oil is kept on it.  All three are fine, just no sense in spending extra money for the plating, when the standard Parkerized version does just fine.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Out of 6 carriers that I have all are parkerized. 3 are full circle and 3 are shaved. Never have had problems with the park'd ones.

MM419
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The only advantage that I have seen, having used all of them, is that the Chrome and TiN carriers are easier to clean.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Hard chrome and TiN look "kuhler" than manganese phosphate (black).  Also much easier to clean.  Carbon does not seem to stick as securely on chrome & TiN.  I personally like chrome the best.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, in the discussions we've had on this subject in the past, I've always been on the "get the standard perked" side, and basically, I still am.  The important surfaces, the inner cylinder where the bolt rings ride, and the inside of the gas key, are hard chromed, and that's where you'll get wear and erosion.

Having said that, I've got a chrome carrier in the mail at this moment.  Didn't buy it because it was chromed tho. Got it from a site member, because he 1) had a good price on it and 2)was wiiling to take some mags as part trade, and 3) I needed a new carrier for a newly built piece.[:D]

All things considered tho, I'd still say go with the standard piece. It'll probably outlast you.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top