Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/3/2003 12:15:40 PM EDT
Hello all.
First this is one of the best sites I have been on and the help is great. This is my first post but have looked around for about a year now. Im thinking of building a Ar-15 but I have a few questions before I do. I have been looking at the J&T 16" Expedition and the 16" bull barrel. I want to know if there is enough accracy diffrence between the cost of each kit. I work for the sheriffs office and want something I can throw in my car but in December I can do some varment hunting with it. Next Question. I hear alot of good things about the J&T products but also they get banged around by the Bushy and other crowds. Im not really building one to save money I am trying to get the best rifle for a good price. How are the accracy with these kits how to they hold up on wear and tear.I have a DPMS 20" A2 and love it and if the J&T are not going to stand up to the DPMS I can get a 16" flattop for $650 and thats not much more than what I would spend if I bought a kit and a stripped lower. I guess I just dont want to put out the money for this kit and then not have a accurate and reliable gun. One more thing and I will go. J&T website said that they had problems the there ar's shooting winchester white box has anyone else had this problem.

Thnaks for any help.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me be the first to welcome you to the Board.
Someone will be along shortly who can help you I'm sure. What part of VA. are you in? I'm between C'ville and Lynchburg.

MM419
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the board Tactical101!

Minuteman419 - I'm in C'ville... You ever shoot at Rivanna?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome!!!

Let me be the first Bushmaster and J&T owner to chime in here, if I may.

Today, I took both AR's (and a butt-load of other guns, of course) to the range, but I specifically put my AR's through a bit of a wringer.  I wanted to get them a bit hot, fire them as fast as I could, and basically just treat them as rough as I could... for a few minutes.  I don't want to ruin them, afterall, but I wanted to put them through a high-temp/high-rate of fire for a bit to see how they would do.  The Bushy did as I expected it to do; not a hiccup.  The J&T?  It did JUST AS WELL!  As a matter of fact, there was no difference in how the two acted; they were both spot-on, reliable, feeding properly, and staying on target.  I didn't let the barrels smoke, because like I said, I don't want to punish the guns or damage them, but I figured two mags each of rapid fire (pulling the trigger as fast as I could) would at least let me know how the weapons would handle a quick exchange of fire, if neccessary.

Grade?  A+

Both are great weapons, both are reliable, but one of them was put together by me which was not only a money-saver, but was FUN FUN FUN!!!

I recommend the J&T for it's reliability, fit, finish, and value.  You won't be disappointed.

As an aside, my friends that went to the range with me today said that they want more details from me on J&T kits; one of them is considering the M4 kit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:48:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Welcome to the board Tactical101!

Minuteman419 - I'm in C'ville... You ever shoot at Rivanna?
View Quote

Hello. I did the High Power thing at Rivanna several many years back. Got a good place to shoot here (Nelson County). Walk out back door and shoot up to 250 yards.

MM419
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:06:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Tactical101,
Welcome to the AR15 community! I am a happy camper with my 16" J&T on a DPMS lower receiver. The gun is accurate and reliable. Fit and finish are great. I'm fairly new to this type gun, so I can't comment on the diferrence between the two
you mentioned. Maybe someone else will chime in and help you. I have not shot any of the Winchester White Box ammo. I bought some good used aluminum USGI mags and to date I have only shot the PMP South African 55 gr FMJ in the 300 round brown plastic battlepacks. No problems at all with this ammo.

I agree a great website! Very knowledgable and helpful folks. After lurking 3 months and asking a ton of newbie questions I was able to assemble the lower receiver parts and build the gun.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#6]
First off, welcome to the board! I have a 20" J&T Expedition, which I built as a kit. The reliability and acurracy are both very satisfactory. HOWEVER............It's LOOOOOOOOUD! If I were to do it over again, I'd never have gotten the Expedition because of the muzzle brake (which is non-removable). Also, I also read about the Winchester white box ammo problem, so I've never tried it. I also think I saw on the Oly arms site that they don't recommend using it either, so I assume it's an ammo problem and not a rifle problem.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top