Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2003 10:59:29 AM EDT
That thing's loud as hell, I have had it.  Can I do it at home and where do I start?  It looks like it's very secured fixed in place.
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I think someone sells a cover that connects OVER the mini-y. It causes all gas to be ported forward...

I'll look around for a link.
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#2]
If it is on a 16 or 20 inch barrel, you can use a hammer and punch to knock out the tapered pin underneath that holds it on. Then shoot the rifle a few times until it flies off. If it's mounted to a 14.5 inch barrel, it is welded on by bushmaster and will have to be removed by a machinist.
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the barrel on M4 type 14.5" right, this is it.  I was going to get it off and put on a CAR15 type of muzzlebrake for it to be legal 16".  How's it welded on?  Blind pinned from bottom and then welded shut, like ATF wanted?  If I can break the weld I might be able to get it off.  Anyone ever attempted such things at home?
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Here ya go...  [url]http://www.assaultweb.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004329[/url]
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 11:34:36 PM EDT
[#5]
i replaced mine just the other day. its pined and welded on the top and bottom,mine also had locktite on the threds.  i used a dremel tool to grind the pins just deep enuf to see the threds.  then i used the dremel to cut slots on the top and bottom and used a big screwdriver to split the break and it came rite off. my new kkf g1a3 tac brake looks a lot beter
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#6]
get rid of the whole bushy
but that's just me
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Why get rid of a Bushmaster, J-Bar?  The VAST majority seem to be more than just happy with theirs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Some bushys just seem to have problems
That don’t happen in other rifles, but like I sed
That is just I, I not saying that bushy parts are bad
I’m just saying that, there are a few things that bushy douse
That I personally don’t like,  but bushy parts are ok

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#9]
well damn my bushmaster was hardcore never had a misfire and in fact it was abou the best lookin one id ever seen or fired
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Uh-oh....  [:K]

I LOVE my Bushy, and I'm NEVER going to get rid of it.  I'm just wondering... what IS a good weapon to get, since you'd get rid of the Bushy, J-Bar?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That thing's loud as hell, I have had it.  Can I do it at home and where do I start?  It looks like it's very secured fixed in place.
View Quote

Or, just drill it out. Get a drill bit a size larger than the opening and ream it out. Takes the blast away.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#12]
That thing's loud as hell, I have had it.

How loud is loud?  Does it hurt your ears even with plugs in?  I ask because I am thinking of buying the same thing.  Does the Y-comp have other disadvantages?    
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't want to hi-jack this topic but, I'm interested in getting rid of my AK-74 brake.
Does anyone know if I can follow the same operation as the Mini removal? Are all of the Bushy barrels threaded? Can I screw on one of Kurt's A3 tac brakes then pin and weld?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top