Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2003 5:57:00 AM EDT
I have a pre-ban PWA that is currently in A2 config with a pre-ban upper and I want to add another pre-ban config flat top to swap out as needed...

The questions are:

The best manual or video(s) needed to get info on building my own upper BUT as I am only building one I do not want the manual's purchase to turn into a big cost on it's own.

The best place to get good and inexpensive parts

Does anyone make a flattop without the forward assist?

Best sources for 1-9 twist chromed barrels with the pre-threading for the pre-ban flash-hider etc...

What major factors are NOT in the manual mentioned above that can only be garnered by experience?  (things to help make it easier)

The minimal tools needed to do this job

Looking to (Ideally) build an flat-top without the forward assist using a 16" post-ban (flash hider attached) fluted 1-9 twist barrel with forward sight blocks that I can put fold down sights and a scope on...

ALternatively:

I can get a pre-built upper for less if it does not have the bolt carrier and I was told by one who probably does not know that any spec bolt and carrier can drop in as the "upper and barrel come headspaced."

I like my face etc and don't want to trust to someone who says they know but is just spreading BS...

Help?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If you know realistically that you're only going to build one then the cost of the tools will be too much. You're best bet is to try to find one that's built the way you want from someone else.

Receiver block, barrel wrench, and one headspace guage would be minimum $70.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Does anyone make a flattop without the forward assist?
View Quote
Yes.  Les Baer does.  Just under $100 IIRC.  DPMS also makes one w/o the case deflector too.
Best sources for 1-9 twist chromed barrels ...
View Quote
Bushmaster.

I was told by one who probably does not know that any spec bolt and carrier can drop in as the "upper and barrel come headspaced."
View Quote
Theoretically any bolt within spec is headspaced correctly with a barrel that's within spec.  Never hurts to check though.  If it's not, try another bolt.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top