Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/10/2003 5:40:04 AM EDT
I e-mailed Quarterbore with a few questions yesterday, and decided to post them for the rest of the squad.

I have read the Alpha squad page about 100 times, I have read the link to the Perry site for 80% castings and sever other builder's links. The Alpha squad site is clearly the most detailed and precise method posted. But it requires some tools and skills that I simply don't possess. On the other hand, Mr. Snelling has promised a video showing how to do the whole shebang with a cordless drill! Shades of the Mujahadeen AR project link on the Alpha site.

Question for the other squad members. Which "method" do you intend to use to finish your casting. Or do you have your own ideas.
I was about to order some tools and such from Harbor freight, but I thought I would garner some opinions first.

My set up as of now consists of all the typical handtools (files, drill and some moderate sized clamps) and a fairly substantial tabletop drill press (when I swing the platform away there is about 15-16 inches between the baseplate and the chuck). I also have a stripped lower and A3 upper for fitting/modeling/measuring.

What else do I need? Anything? What is your tooling setup?

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:23:55 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What else do I need?
View Quote

I'm waiting to see what-all the castings need in the way of preparation. I'll order my end mills, etc, then...

If the new jig works as promised, then after drilling & reaming the side holes, a way to ream & tap the buffer tube is the major stumbling block...(After figuring out how to center the reamer & tap)...
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]
[blue][b] Hey Bravo team brothers . I talk to William (Snelling)Monday on the phone he's going to start shooting video some time this week. He's super busy with everything going on .

Twire as for your lack of skills ,if your the least bit handie you should have no problems. I would suggest if you can to get together with someone close to you and work together .(if thats possible) If not don't worry the video will be helpful and so will the web site QB put together along with notes from the other members .

From the sound of your list of tools your going to be fine. The biggest key to a successful build is taking your time.  You might want to pick up some JB weld  just in case.[;)]  If you have any questions as you go feel free to Email other members.  Good luck

Jerry  [/blue][/b]

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top