Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2003 12:22:34 AM EDT
After reading so much good things about J & T here this morning i mailed in my order for one of thier 20 inch A2 complete kits , i cant wait to get it, but now how do i go about getting a lower? If i want to buy it online Do i need to contact the FFL/ Gunshop first or do i order and Pay for the Lower then find a FFL in my Area? How do you Go about It? Do the Factories like BM Olympic DPMS etc. Have FFL dealers that they deal with or do i have to shop around for a FFL dealer?
Also does anybody know anything about those $99.00 Lowers that Numrich arms is selling? Are they Good Quality?
This is my First Build so everything is new to me , i am used to going into a Gunshop and buying my Gun from off the Shelf, but i see this build as a fun winter Project, plus i am saving $315 by building it myself.

Thanks , S3
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:31:30 AM EDT
[#1]
IMO, your best bet would be to purchase a Eagle Arms lower from [url]http://www.quanticoarms.com/[/url] for $100.00!  Your can order and pay for the lower on their website then have your FFL send them the paperwork.  I'm planning on doing exactly what you are doing for my next project.  

They also have a post for the lowers on the Equipment Exchange.  Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Marc
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:20:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The lower is the hardest part. It is the part considered a gun so all rules apply.  Just built the same J&T kit and am very pleased.  Not only turned out to be one sharp looking rifle but exceptional performance.  Don't expect it to be major project though for if you researched it well and use the AR15.com instructions, it won't take but 2 to 3 hours.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...if you researched it well and use the AR15.com instructions, it won't take but 2 to 3 hours.
View Quote

*If* your son helps...(Read that in another thread; he sounded like a good helper!)... [:)]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:04:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the info guys.
As a follow up, Does the Upper Kit from J&T comes with Barrel already headspaced or should i purchase a headspacing tool?

sorry about all these questions.

-S3
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw an add in shotgun news that said that there uppers come headspaced.  But I dont own one so I cant be sure.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
They come headspaced. Very nice kits!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I have Rock River Arms lower receivers in stock.
I'll sell them for $100.+ $5. shipping to your dealer. You can pick up in PA if you want too.
I do some shows too. $100 price is prepaid, I get more at the shows.  Howard
JB Arms Upper darby, PA
610 789-0200
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone have any experience with the kits offered by M&A Parts? How does it compare with the J&T kit. The M&A kit is a little less expensive ($415) and comes with a Wilson heavy barrel. Also, does anyone know where I can get a dummy,birdcage flash suppressor. I'm building a post ban E2 kit and like the Birdcage type muzzle device. I don't want a muz brake (noise and don't need a brake on this low recoiling rifle). I just want one for the correct appearance.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Never dealt with M&A. Have dealt with J&T. Their kits are a fair price, and are all new parts of good quality. Good finish on everything, and nothing junky. They advertise their kits as having Shaw barrels, which I think is a plus. Also they don't charge for using a credit card, which everyone else does. Their upper 1/2 comes all together, no assembly required. Time to install the lower parts and stock is under 15 minutes if you have some experience putting lowers together, and a little more if you don't. There were a few hammer marks on my last J&T upper that didn't thrill me too much (from ham-handed installation of the sight pins)but they touched up okay.

In my humble opinion, nobody's kit is going to be quite as nice as a factory rifle, so don't expect that. Kits aren't all the same quality, so do be careful what you buy, and ask a lot of questions up front about whose parts they use, and whether the kit includes all new parts. But a kit is a good way to have a pretty decent quality AR with all new parts for about $575 or so, including the lower.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:25:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Hi Howard, Will you be at the Gun Show in Melville Long Island on January 18th ?

How Far off Route 80 or Route 81 are you located? I am familiar with that area of Pennsylvania.

Is the Finish on the RRA lower very nice? Do you think it will go well with a J& T Kit? I should be getting my Kit today or Friday.
$100 sounds fair for a new lower, are these New Lowers?

thanks, s3
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top