Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 4:26:50 AM EDT
Hello,

I see most completed uppers use the round style forward assist but Brownells only offers the teardrop style. Which style is the military currently using?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:53:38 AM EDT
[#1]
The teardrop style was the A1 version, the current M16A2 uses the round FA. Never used a teardrop one so couldn't tell you pros/cons, other than I suppose the teardrop could get snagged on something.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got both, can't decide which I like better though. I can't see the teardrop one snagging on anything more than the  carry handle, cocking handle,mag..., well, you get the pic. Good luck

Long Distance Is the Next Best Thing To Being There......[X]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I also have not had any issues with the teardrop. I just insure that the FA matches the receiver type: teardrop/A1, round/A2 and above.

I still love the original M16 upper with NO FA!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#4]
There are oval ones too, if you can find them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The round ones are used (but some of the rifles still have the teardrop type- it takes a long time to get all of these parts out of the supply.

M-16's last a long time and some of the A-2's were armorer conversions of A-1's with Auto overstamped with Burst (and this is probably why you can still see these now and then)
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The teardrop was used on the old M16A1. It was found that it did snag on things, like camo netting ect. When the M16A2 came out in '82, one of the design changes was the shape of the forward assist. It was changed to a large round shaped design. The military found that this was too large and that solders were causing undue damage and wear on the forward assist. The size of the round FA was changed (I do not know the date) to a smaller round shape. The idea was that the smaller sized FA would hurt the solders hand before he could exert enough force to damage anything.

I had an old AR-15A2 SP2. It had A1 sights but had all other features of the A2 model. It had the large FA. I never noticed the difference until just a few years ago. The large round FA has a relief cut out of the back side of it to allow clearance between the FA and the upper receiver.

Well since the spell check is down please cut me some slack on any spelling issues
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top