Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2002 11:37:05 AM EDT
Sorry if this is an old topic, but I was wondering about the new replacement for the peel washer.
Anyone know of a source for these?
Also, anything special about using them?
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#1]
CMMG has em, look for him in EE forum...
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#2]
[url=www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/]Bushmaster parts[/url]

[url=www.cmmginc.com]CMMG[/url]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I've noticed, I can't get the F/H lined up the way it should be. How do ya remedy that?
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Firepower - If you are using a peel washer, tighten the f/h (with peel washer in place) to about 15 ft-lbs and see if it is just short of lining up. If it is, continue tightening until aligned, without exceeding 20 ft-lbs. If you can't align it without going much over 20 ft-lbs, you need to remove it and peel off a layer from the peel washer. Then repeat the above, removing layers until it tightens up in the right position. A utility knife blade is good for separating off one of the layers.
With a crush washer, I am trying to get that information myself.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Or just use the crush washer.

Just tighten the FS to index and be down with it.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 2:05:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...you need to remove it and peel off a layer from the peel washer...
View Quote

Is *that* why it's called that...I thought maybe it was a tribute to Diana Riggs... [:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#7]
What about minimum torque with a crush washer? If it lines up at 5 ft-lbs, do you leave it there, or give it one more complete turn?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:51:06 AM EDT
[#8]
We have been using Olympic Arms Titanium alloy crush washers with great effect.  They can take the tempeture and keep on holding.  They hold suppressors on VERY well, when big slit washers would not do the job.  Hold flash suppressor on without fail also.

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:07:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I LOVE crush washers! Please note that once you apply enough torque to starting 'crushing' GO SLOWLY! I've found that once they start crushing that is takes less than initial force to complete the index.

BTW I've hand-tightened to 1 o'clock and had to torque 300+ degrees. Just go slow and all will be well.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to all. I like the peel washers for keeping my older stuff authentic. But I have a new project using a thread on compensator and a crush washer would be perfect.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top