Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2002 8:51:46 PM EDT
Got my lower, but I need to know what's the best kits. So far Olympic, and the one from M&A, seem to be the cheapest. My reciever is olympic, so I figure at least the finish will match. Anyway, has anyone tried these kits? Gimme some reviews. And if you have another kit not mentioned, let me know (trying to keep it in the $450-$500 range.) Also, what are the acuracy differences? I mean are they pretty much ewual, or is it over 1/2" at 100M difference between the two?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You have to decide where YOU sit in the scheme of things.
Is this gun for casual fun & home defense?
Is it for serious target?
Most uppers in the same price range will perform about the same.
DPMS makes a good product...and you didn't mention Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I suppose right now the purpose is mainly just plinking around. I figured that if I get into more serious shooting, I'd just get another upper.
 I have checked out DPMS, and bushmaster. Bushmaster is more expensive. Is it really worth it? (remember, just plinking for now.) DPMS looks good, but all the pictures on the website are of the same kit, and it doesn't explain what it comes with or without (sights, heatshields, heavy or light barrel, 1 in 9 twist or 1 in 8. ect.) Anyone with DPMS< let me know.
Thanks all.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#3]

[url=http://www.jtdistributing.com]J&T Distributing[/url]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:26:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Ditto Red-leg said
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:19:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I purchased a M&A parts 16" heavy barrel kit for my RRA lower, finish matches perfeclty, fit was excellent, and the gun shoot 1 moa groups with several types of ammo. (non surplus).  Shoots great with surplus, just larger groups.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
hmmm...

i'm glad i saw this thread. i have been looking at a bunch of kits lately and i was wondering the same thing, i was especially looking at M&A kits.
gonzoman,
is your kit chambered in 556 or 223?  how was the service and shipping times/costs?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Howdy NYPD; Gonzoman; & David.  Below is my earlier post in another thread.  I sincerely hope that I have a diamond in the rough, but right now, it looks a lot more like a turd in a punchbowl.  It is a 556 chamber though - according to them (after a LOT of e mails back & forth).  Getting this little bit of info was about like prying out a saber tooth tigers fangs with a screwdriver!  At any rate, I'll let y'all know the results.  Maybe I'll get lucky, and get a refund!  Later,
Mike.
///////////////////////////////////////
>>>Howdy all. I dearly wish I'd discovered this forum 6 weeks ago - I would've made a different choice for my kit. I got the 20" HBAR A2 kit from M&A. I put it together (with my preban SP1 Carbine lower) the day before Christmas. I ordered it 2 weeks prior, and got it promptly in 5 days. S&H was great. However, I'm not real pleased with the finish. It's a helluva lot rougher than my Colt - on the other hand, it IS supposed to be from a "gov't contractor", and mil spec. Through a glitch in either ordering or shipping, the offset pivot pin was not shipped, so I never even got to shoot the new toy before I had to leave last Sat. to go back outta state for work :-{ They DID ship the pin promptly after I contacted them. I have been going back and forth with them for several weeks about various questions. They strike me as VERY reluctant to answer any of my questions in any detail. It took numerous e mails and a threat to return it to get an answer to whether it had a 556 or 223 chamber. They still either won't/can't tell me who the contractor of the upper is. I have also asked numerous times about the warranty, as I can't find it on the web site. To date, they still haven't answered that question. Now that I'm not home, I can't even try the damn thing out to see if it's a piece of junk - or a fantastic rifle!! I'm VERY unhappy with customer service. Unless something DRASTIC happens to change my present opinion of them, I most definitely will NEVER buy from them again. I would like to send it back for a refund if at all possible and try again with another brand. I suppose you live and learn. Later,
Mike.<<<
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#8]
The least expensive kits around are Model1Sales kits ($410-$520)
I've built 7 ar-15's on Model1sales.com (that's the site but I'ld reccomend using the SGN flyer as it is more descriptive)

Kits (I know they use non-forged front-sights, A-1 posts, and A-1 birdcage F/Hiders)

But these kits [other than that are very high quality and $50 will upgrade any of their BBls to SS (that I like)]

All I have built have been under 1 MOA accurate and functioned flawlessly.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top