Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2002 9:06:29 AM EDT
I've heard that the Chrome lined barrels are better and last longer , but how about the Stainless Heavy barrels . Are the Chrome lined barrels really worth the extra money compaired to the Stainless . What are the pros and cons of these two barrel types?????????
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a topic that gets a fair bit of regular debate, but here are some answers for you....

Chrome-lined barrels are more durable and generally easier to clean than non-chromed barrels. This is the current spec required for use on military issue M16 and its variants. Without going into a lengthy history, that decision was made back during the Viet Nam war due to problems with malfuctioning weapons in the hostile (on many levels) jungle environment.

Non-lined barrels are generally more accurate. This is because it is difficult (if not impossible) to put down a consistent and uniform chrome plating on the inside of the barrel. These inconsistencies impact accuracy. However, the amount of accuracy you lose to chrome-lined barrels is up to debate. Also, because of not having the chrome lining, the barrel will generally wear faster. How fast will be determined by the type of ammo used, how you clean it, etc. This is pretty much a non-issue if you only shoot a few hundred rounds a year.

My personal call on which one to use depends on what you plan on using the rifle for... if it is going to be a plinker, casual shooter, or kept as a tactical/SHTF rifle, go with the chrome-lined barrel because it will be easier to maintain and whatever accuracy you [i]might[/i] lose will not be noticeable.

However, if you want to use the rifle for varmint hunting over long distances (say, more than 200 yards) or for service rifle matches, it would probably be worthwhile to go with a non-chromed-lined barrel.

HTH,

-Greg
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Greg that is exactly what I was looking for . Thanks for the info and the comeback . John
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#3]
For a rifle that may have to be stored in less than perfect conditions, or may be used in very humid conditions, Stainless is the way to go.  My next choice is chrome lined, preferably with teflon coating.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For a rifle that may have to be stored in less than perfect conditions, or may be used in very humid conditions, Stainless is the way to go.  My next choice is chrome lined, preferably with teflon coating.
View Quote

Heh heh.... Now that I've posted my opinions above, lemme tell you what I just built for one of my pre-ban lowers. I put together an M4 upper using a DPMS stainless steel 16" barrel with their black teflon coating on. The best of all worlds, IMHO. Now when I do rapid fire and heat up the barrel, my skin doesn't stick to it as it burns...[;D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#5]
On a good day, my Bushmaster with chromed barrel is about a 1 m.o.a. gun, my stainless match JP barreled gun is about a 1/2 m.o.a. gun.  These figures are based on match (Blackhills 52 gr HPBT) ammo.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top