Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2002 6:21:47 AM EDT
I'm working on finishing a couple of 80% lowers (using an OSI jig), and I was wondering how to put decent looking serial numbers on them.  I don't want the dremelled look...  Assuming I don't have access to any heavy hydraulic stamping machines, what are my options?

TIA,
fiz
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#1]
This is what I use. You can do a decent job with a cheap set from Harbor also.

[url]http://www.sterling.ca/page31.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Or you could just not put one on. Unless your state law requires it, serial numbers aren't mandatory.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Assumming you have a mill or access to one, you can always use an engraving tool in the mill.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 4:13:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Is there a listing for States that do or do not require serial #'s?
I was under the impression that ALL firearm receivers must be serial numbered...and that was a Federal rule.
Please shed some more light here.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 6:00:36 AM EDT
[#5]
A serial number is not required by the FEDs for home builts, although they recommend it in case it is stolen. No registration is required at the Fed level either.

As for state requirements, I don't know of any one who has bothered to check all 50 state laws and compile a list.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's a link to a BATF letter regarding marking requirements...

[url]http://www.chesapeake.net/~mcfadden/bigtoys/law/1.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.chesapeake.net/~mcfadden/bigtoys/law/2.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.chesapeake.net/~mcfadden/bigtoys/law/3.jpg[/url]

The letter states that serial numbers are required by licensed manufacturers and importers, or by licensed manufacturers, importers or makers of NFA firearms.

Unless you are making an NFA firearm, numbers aren't required, but makers are strongly encouraged to put them on so the owner can be identified in case of theft.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is there a listing for States that do or do not require serial #'s?
I was under the impression that ALL firearm receivers must be serial numbered...and that was a Federal rule.
Please shed some more light here.
View Quote

I don't KNOW of any state that requires serial numbers - but since most of us aren't up on the laws of all 50 states, we throw in the "your state laws may differ" as a catchall that you've got to do your own research.  Federally, no serial number or markings of any kind are required for a semi-auto home build.

The federal serial number rule went into effect in 1968 - since that year, all firearms made by LICENSED MANUFACTURERS, or imported by LICENSED IMPORTERS have had to have a serial number.  Those regulations do no apply to UNLICENSED manufacture for personal use.  Before 1968, most manufacturers still serialled, especially those who made firearms for the military, but there was no federal regulation requiring it.

There are still a large number of pre-1968 firearms out there with no serial numbers - and they're still completely legal to own, buy/sell/trade.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:53:50 AM EDT
[#8]
John Norrel does deep rotary engraving.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had one of those 'gift' stores in the mall do the engraving for me. Any of the stores that will engrave little plates for plaques or clocks can do it. They even have a great assortment of fonts to get the 'official' look. They will tell you that because it's a weird shape they are not responsible if they screw up, But just ask the person behind the counter 'who has been doing it the longest' and that person should have no problems. I have had them inscribe on stainless steel so don't buy it if they tell you they can't on your lower. Cost?? It was under $10 I had a name engraved on a S&W 5906. So if you are only going to need to do this once or twice this might be the most cost effective way to do it. One note.... bring them the stripped lower... the mall cops freak when walking through the mall with an AR :)
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with the MALL engravers and I talked to a local shop where I am located.  I want to engrave my 80% lower when it's done with...

Quarterbore's AR-15
Serial Number One
Date Lower was completed!

I just hope the 80% lower will look good enough that I will be willing to put my name on it!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I just hope the 80% lower will look good enough that I will be willing to put my name on it!
View Quote

[blue][b] Don't worry QB, that lowers gonna look so good you'll wanna show it off everywhere you go .

Over and out [/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One note.... bring them the stripped lower... the mall cops freak when walking through the mall with an AR :)
View Quote

WOW! that sure explains my Christmas shopping trip![(:)]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:57:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I agree with the MALL engravers and I talked to a local shop where I am located.  I want to engrave my 80% lower when it's done with...

Quarterbore's AR-15
Serial Number One
Date Lower was completed!

View Quote

Not 100% sure here, but you might get in a pickle by putting "AR-15" on it. Since it is a named exception to the AWB, this could casue probs.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#14]
The named AW is a "Colt" "AR-15" - so without the Colt it's definitely OK.

Remarking your receiver as a Colt AR-15 might present a problem, or adding "AR-15" to a post-89 Colt.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#15]
How about "SUR-15" ?

btw- where's Ren and Stimpy[?]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm....

I guess it could be the first ever...

QB-15 Rifle  

I just want to have something that really makes this project mine!  I got my hands on my 80% castings and they look great already.  I am anxious to get started but I sure want to do the job right!  Given I already have a pair of Pre-Ban Colts and an AR-10 I would rather this project take me a year with a great looking finished project then something slapped together over a week!

I would love to take my own monster to my local DCM shoots but that might be expecting a little too much?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top