Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2002 12:59:12 PM EDT
I may have finally lost it!

I got this Bushmaster lower during some trading, along with a real nice Colt M4 upper. Problem was, the lower is POST-ban, the upper was PRE-ban. I've already got two nice PRE-ban rifles, one Colt M4gery and a Bushmaster "XM177" style. So I sold the upper and decided to "Build My Own" with the post ban lower. This lower has had an AWESOME trigger job done on it. I thought about making it an official "free floating bull barrel target rifle". BUT THEN IT HAPPEN! I went to the Charlotte gun show Saturday and saw this 37mm flare launcher. I had saw them before but didnt want to mount it to one of my PRE-ban rifles. The same booth had this post-ban FN 20" heavy barrel upper with the type of crown I wanted. I thought about it all Saturday night and yesterday I went back with money in hand. Below is the result. I figured what the heck, it should shoot pretty good and it sure looks like alot of fun!!! I bought some flares and smoke for it. What do you guys think?? Anyone else have one set up like this? How do you like it?

DoorKicker6

P.S. The 40mm projectile is a PROP!! I dont need anyone "kicking my door", lol ;-)
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet!  If  you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the 37mm?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#2]
They sold me the 37mm for $150.00, a DEAL! BUT the mounting hardware was $35.00, the leaf sight and USGI handguard were $35 each!! It stung a little but I shot a flare awhile ago and MAN it was AWESOME!! I only bought 2 flares and one smoke @ $5.00 each but I'm going to order the re-loading kit ASAP!! THAT WAS WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!!!

DoorKicker6
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks great. Me and my friend want to get one on his Bushy A2.

Question: Why do the 37mms usually have the launcher mounted so low compared to the barrel?

[img]www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/Images/cm2037.gif[/img]
[img]www.navyseals.com/equip/weapons/mm203.gif[/img]
[img]www.rpbusa.com/images/37mmr.gif[/img]

And on the M4s it's even higher.
[img]www.specialoperations.com/Weapons/SEALASHORE.jpg[/img]

Compared to the top picture in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
CooL!
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
My boy is crazy about that tube and wants me to mount one.  I keep telling him the deerslayers at the range are freaked out enough by black guns.  Looks good though and brings back memories.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Valkyre,

I think its the way they are mounted. I thought about getting the stuff from DPMS for the FAKE M203 mount and trying it on this one but I dont have the $$$ to throw at a guess. Maybe if I see a better mounting system at a show or something I can change it but for now this is AWESOME!! We JUST shot a smoker and aimes pretty high. It still went a LONG way and smoked an entire field beside my dad's house. I'm just having way too much fun with this. It brings back memories for me too. But of model rockets and fireworks!! EVERYBODY should hve one of these!!

TomJefferson & cnatra,
Thanks guys! You really ought to try it!!

DoorKicker6

Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah. That's what I was figuring.
Now I'm wondering why they change the mount height? Why would that gain you anything?

If they made a proper carbine mount (Have you seen the mounts that look like shorten M203 handguards? That's what looks weird.) I would buy one for my Bushmaster.

Something more like this:
[img]www.specialoperations.com/images/sopmodm4.jpg[/img]

It mounts under the upper handguard, around the barrel. You just take off the lower handguard. That'd be better, IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Valkyre,

I wish I could get that mount for what I paid for this one. I've got the Knights RAS on my Pre-Ban Colt M4, seen below. Along with an Aimpoint, laser and light. But I dont want to put the extra into another Knights system for this rifle. This one is just a "fun rifle". Post-Ban, no hassel, all FUN!! You guys should see the way the smoke projectile looked at night!! IT WAS WICKED!! It went high and you could follow it the whole way to impact! It smoked FOREVER too! My brother is active military and said it was as good as anything he had used. Mine is a Cobray and its built tough!

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=dswarlickjr&album_id=104255&image_id=45&courtesy=1[/img]

DoorKicker6

P.S. Oh yea, the RPB company in your post was at the Charlotte Gun show also. They are who I bought the ammo for my launcher from. I didnt get the launcher from them but their stuff looked good also!

DK6

Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]
This is Firequest's. It's nearly touching the ground, it's so low!

[img]www.firequest.com/catalog/media/ARwFlare.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I do like your launchers though. They look great!
I especially like the carbine! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 5:29:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks GREAT!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys! My neighbors freeked out last night. I shot a flare at home instead of at the shop. We've got this one neighbor who likes to let his "Rots" dogs run loose. My neighborhod is made up of mostly 30 something couples with kids and a few retired couples. The IDIOT with the dogs has had animal control out a dozen times and they never catch the dogs out. I was unloading the truck and just happen to have the above rifle and a flare with me when the "Rots" came up running at me barking and growling in my own yard! I didnt have anything else. I can tell you first hand that the leaf sight is very accurate! I dont think they will come back to my section of our neighborhood again!
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#13]
LOL!
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#14]
COOL!
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the looks of it too!!

Anyone know if they will fit an SP-1 Upper with a skinny 20" BBL??

I have access to a some of these flare launchers, so i may have to pick up one for myself.

If anyone is interested in one, i will check and see what we are going to sell them for.
I wont be able to check until after X-mas, probably like a week from monday.
I will post it here if anyone is interested...

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Doorkicker,

I thought you were a LEO?

Dont you have any "LEO Only" rifles?
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#17]
DevilsAdvocate,

You are right, I am LEO. I do have an issued LE M4A1/Carbine, with burst, and an issued Benelli 14" Super 90 Entry Shotgun. My primary issued weapon is a bolt gun but anyone can buy a PSS I think. I dont "OWN" any LEO only rifles though. I dont want the hassel. I've been in for 13 years now. I enjoy it, but if I decide to walk away tomorrow I get to keep EVERYTHING I own, legally! I'd never fully walk away though. I'd stay reserve somewhere if for no other reason then the concealed carry benifets in this state and others. Oh yea, I do own an LEO Beta C Mag. Well, I guess I'll just have to stay in till I retire now ;-)  

And just in case anyone was wondering, if I'd had my pistol on me, those dogs would have been found dead in my yard instead of running out of it, "extra crispy". lol ;-) I got two little girls and those are mean dogs. They have killed some neighborhood cats at night. Their day will come ;-)

DoorKicker6
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:39:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Lived in a neighborhood where a Dobie ran loose and attacked people regularly.  Dog was a sneak attack, so I had no issues. I just kept rocks strategically placed and would pelt him everytime I saw him.  One night, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.  The dog nailed my neighbor who shot him with his .44.  The whole neighborhood showed up and we celebrated!  

Where I live now a neighbor had two Rotweillers which he attempts to keep in with shock wire fence.  Doesn't work and the dogs have attacked one old couple jogging and cornered one neighbor on his trampoline till animal control came and shot them with darts.  My son was young then so I walked over the the dog owners house and nice and politely told the guy if I see the dog on my property I will shoot them.  He got rid of the dogs.

My kid wants me to mount a flare launcher on one of my ARs, he as I think they are way cool.  I did calm him down though by saying "Geez, the deerslayers at the range already freak out everytime we pull out the AR.".  
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Were is the ammo for $5?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:28:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought mine at the Charlotte N.C. show from the guys at RPD ( See the above post with their ad.) They are good guys. they have ALOT of 37mm stuff! I'll be carrying it also on my web site very soon. Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:57:26 AM EDT
[#21]
A word of caution here fellas. I've been checking these things out because I'd like to get one of the stand alones to use for launching smoke at our PD range. The ATF tolerates them just as long as you do not possess any "anti-personnel" loads, including rubber bullet, bean-bag type stuff with it. If you possess that ammo with one of these things the ATF automatically considers it a "WMD" and will violate you post-haste. I'll find the site link where I read their reply to a perrson's inquiry on the subject.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:59:25 AM EDT
[#22]
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/law.html

There it is, knew I had it somewhere. Copy and paste the link and check out the info. Pretty informative.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top