Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/1/2002 7:37:35 AM EDT
I know this has been hashed out before but since there is no searching capabilities available for peons like me I need to ask again.  Who makes upper assemblies with super light profiled barrels.  I'll even take just the barrel and assemble my own upper but sometimes it's just as cheap to buy the whole thing.  Any help in this regard would be greatly appreicated.  I would especially like hear to from guys that have assembled AR's with these super light uppers.  I want to build an AR that will weigh under 5 lbs.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you looking for an upper just to shoot or for competition?

Either way go to [url]www.tippiecompitition.com[/url] or e-mail Lew Tippie ([email protected]) and he might be able to set you up with what your looking for.

Pat
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, look at the top rigt of the page.  The search function has been back for a while now.  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the heads up Red-Leg, my fault for not paying attention.  It's because I had my head up my butt.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/abbl-16sla.asp[/url]
[br]
Bushmaster sells super light barrel.  I'm sure they can build the upper for you too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:49:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I just ordered a 16" lightweight barrel from Bushmaster.  It shipped the next day and arrived in 4 days, UPS ground.  Very nice profile, lightweight all the way back.  My PRI .625 sight slipped right on (after hours trying to get the original sight off!

Fit and finish is flawless.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
if you really wanna go lightweight try this combo

cav arms lower
sp1 or m16 slick side upper.
bushy lightweight barrel.
bayo lug ground off
brake installed.
car hand guards with no heat sheilds
fiberlite fixed stock
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the same goal in mind.  I plan to use a flat top slick side upper from Les Baer $90 and an aluminum or carbonfiber free float tube.  I think I'm going to use a 20" pencil barrel and lop off the threaded portion giving me an approx 19" barrel length.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 12:38:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

cav arms lower
bayo lug ground off
brake installed.
fiberlite fixed stock
View Quote

Whats that weigh Kernal_Panic?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:42:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

cav arms lower
bayo lug ground off
brake installed.
fiberlite fixed stock
View Quote

If you've got a CavArms lower, how/why would you use a fiberlite fixed stock?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 4:40:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

cav arms lower
bayo lug ground off
brake installed.
fiberlite fixed stock
View Quote

If you've got a CavArms lower, how/why would you use a fiberlite fixed stock?
View Quote

And why go throught the trouble of removing the heatguards and stick a chunk of useless weight like a brake on that lightweight barrel?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Be warned, I know reports have stated that an aluminum freefloat tube is lighter than the stock handguards and barrel nut, but I believe this is not true.

I compared my hiperform carbon fiber handguard to the standard handguard.
Results: Hiperform-8 oz
Handguards w/ single heatsheild and barrel nut-5.2 oz
Hogue Aluminum handguard advertised at-9 oz

The Hiperform Ultralight is 5.2 oz probably the lightest thing you can get.

As far as barrels go. Aside from custom work, as stated above your best quality and more expensive lightwieght barrel will be the bushmaster barrel.

For less money, but not chrome lined.

M&A parts sells a lightweight upper with skinny barrel.

I believe Model 1 sales also sells a thin barrel/upper.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got my Bushmaster superlight 16" barrel this weekend. Installed it on a Bushmaster upper and the gun runs great. I noticed just how light it is when firing - seems their is less barrel flip with my Colt M-4gery. I'm still trying to get used to the look of the really thin barrel but it seems well built so there should be no problems. Its looks kind of weird with an A1 profile barrel on A3 upper, Arms#38 swan sleeve/rear sights, KAC rail system, 6 position RRA collapsible stock, and Vortex flash hider but it runs good.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Model 1 Sales sells a pencil barrel upper in either A2 or A3 configuration and in both pre or post ban. Very light weight. They don't list them on their website so you will have to call them and ask. I buy my all Model 1 stuff from Ranger Sales in Michigan but their uppers are made by Model 1 Sales.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I wanted thank all of you who put forth your info to help me with my project and wish everyone a happy, safe and free new year.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I just found that Olympic sells probably the lightest 16" barrel avail.  They call it the noodle barrel.  They use it on their light weight rifle that weighs less than 5 lbs.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Bushmaster makes a pre-ban superlight but DPMS sells a post-ban superlight barrel. I purchsed one of these and assembled it with a Busmaster A1 type upper. It is super lightweight and shoots great!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top