Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2002 8:42:47 PM EDT
I thought you guys might be able to use this info from the NRA website:

www.nrahq.org/publications/ssusa/AR15_tools.asp

Moderator, you can tack this if you think it might help answer "what tools do I need" questions.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#1]
A good find!

Very informative for someone who is about to try building his very first AR15...like me.

Thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for sharing the knowledge.
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#3]
BTT
Link Posted: 1/14/2003 12:42:59 AM EDT
[#4]
A couple of things that I can point out.

1. The barrel nut wrench in the kit is the mil type. The DPMS multi-tool is better tool due to being able to work on both CAR, standard barrels, and install DCM tubes, plus the end has a slotted screwdriver big enough to tighten the butt stock screw.

2. My bench has never been that clean.

3. He is wearing a too nice of a shirt to be wrenching on a upper.  

4. I don't see a single band-aid on any of his fingers.

5. Plus, he doesn't have enough grease under his fingernails to be a smith.

Just my take on the whole thing, but all and all, a very good source.
Link Posted: 1/15/2003 6:02:59 AM EDT
[#5]
FYI ...

The writer and the fellow in the photo (Mike Ahlfeld) are both very experinced and good gunsmiths that I personally know.  Mike has done work for me in the past and it has been top-notch.  Both are highly recommended.
Link Posted: 1/27/2003 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Very interesting that the article ONLY shows the assrmbly of a heavy barrel match type rifle.  God forbid the NRA hould have pics of someone assembling a CAR15 or M4gery.  I absolutely hate it when they pull crap lke this, and I'm a Life Member.

Yes, the info is equally applicable to any AR. I just hate the PCness of it all.[;D]
Link Posted: 1/27/2003 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#7]
What would a reasonable tool set run you to build your own?  
Link Posted: 1/28/2003 1:01:37 AM EDT
[#8]
shamayim, are you trying to stir the pot or what? So an [b]AR15[/b] carbine is politically incorrect but a "heavy barrel match type" [b]AR15[/b] rifle is politically correct?

On what planet? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 1/28/2003 4:01:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
shamayim, are you trying to stir the pot or what? So an [b]AR15[/b] carbine is politically incorrect but a "heavy barrel match type" [b]AR15[/b] rifle is politically correct?

On what planet? [rolleyes]
View Quote

Ok, so less politically incorrect[:D]

You know, it used to be that when the military adopted or significantly modified any of their small arms, the "Rifleman" would have a feature article, with all the details. The last few years all you're going to see is a small notation, if even that.  Seen anything in there lately about the Armed Forces increasing issue of the M4? Hell, have you ever seen anything in there about the M4--that it even exists?

Look, I've been an NRA member since 1954 (started in the Junior Program) and a Life Member since 1974.  The new "Rifleman" editor is nothing but a hunter, and the handgun people are all into personal defence stuff.  Nothing on any military stuff any newer than WW2 (tho the articles they have on those things are very good).

Twenty years ago my wife (at the time) knew that on the evening of the day the "Rifleman" showed up I would read at the supper table, and leave me alone afterward, til I got thru.

Current wife has never experienced that. The mag sits for a day or two, til I get around to it.

I maintain that the pics showing assembly were purposely selected to show a match gun being put together, rather than an M16 or M4 clone.  It ain't a big deaL I'm just a bit sad that it's come to the point where (in my opinion) "political correctness" plays a part in such things. It's fine w/me if you think that wasn't an issue in what was photographed. Niether of us is ever going to know for sure.[:D]

Link Posted: 2/16/2003 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#10]
This article was a three parter especially for the NRA's competitive shooting magazine "Shooting Sports". It was specifically on how to build a match AR-15-type rifle.

It is pretty timely since in the field of high-power, many shooters are making the switch from bolt guns or M1/M1A's to AR-15-type rifles to stay competitive.

In the series, they put together two different variations differing mainly by price (and selection of components).  The "entry" level rifle with the DPMS barrel "only" got 1.7-3.3 inch groups at 300yds and the "space gun" with the Krieger barrel was a bit better at 1.2-2.0 inch 300 yard groups.
Link Posted: 4/16/2003 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Um broken link.

[edit] Ice storm. lol.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link works for me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Works for me!

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#14]
KWM,
  You wouldn't happen to have the three article set, would you? That could be of general interest in view of the accuracy claimed.

Kurt
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#15]
this was a good article especially for the "getting ready" to build types like myself. I am just wondering though, what tools out of those specially tools is needed for a basic "complete upper"/"complete lower" type build?  I want to actually build the RRA lower and mate it to a complete RRA upper.  Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I just built my first ar with a stripped Eagle arms Lower from Quantico and a Oly arms kit. Had no problems may I suggest a Clevis pin 1/4 inch about 2" long to use as a Pivot pin dentent tool its about .80 cents at the hardware store works as good as the 6.00 or 8.00 dollar ones.
Link Posted: 2/25/2004 1:55:01 AM EDT
[#17]
hmmm the link isn't working for me, where on the NRAHQ site is the article located?
thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2004 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#18]
the link doesn't work for me either
Link Posted: 3/1/2004 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#19]
go to archive.org and paste the url in the wayback machine. It will show you the page you need.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#20]
[url]http://web.archive.org/web/20021220135116/http://www.nrahq.org/publications/ssusa/AR15_tools.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:48:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/24/2004 3:44:56 AM EDT
[#22]
This is awesome.... This makes life a lot easier as I am ging to be building and CAR-15 soon, as well as a match upper for Competetive shooting... Thank you
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#23]
This no longer seems to go to a valid page. I'm sorry if I am incorrect but I have tried x Times.
Link Posted: 6/6/2004 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#24]
does someone sell that whole kit?  I wouldnt mind buying one or two kits
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
does someone sell that whole kit?  I wouldnt mind buying one or two kits

Brownells sells a large AR assembly kit, runs a little over $700 retail IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#26]
The link is dead.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top