Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/26/2002 5:19:45 AM EDT
I built an AR a few months back ( while laid up with an injury) I used a parts kit from J&T and a RRA lower. The guns fits and functions great, the only problem is the upper is a blue color. It has the FN stamp on it, but I have never seen this color before. Has anyone else ran across this???? I have a friend who is going to take the upper and lower and bake on an epoxy paint  (looks just like a Colt when he finishs) to make it match...The only part this strange color was the upper...
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I built an AR using a J&T kit. The upper matched the color of my DPMS lower perfectly. It does not appear to be blue, more black.
bamasurp
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#2]
My J&T upper (A2) matches perfectly with my RRA lower (from Pete-in-NH). The dials on the sight have a purple tinge to them, but otherwise perfect match.

Unfortunately it does not match the grey Oly lower I put it on....

Jonathan
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmm.. my JT kit's upper (A2) matches my RRA lower perfectly in terms of color, but the "texture" is a bit finer on the upper.

Could be that you got an actual FN receiver.. mine is the wierd keyhole with three dots.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 4:45:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Just to add to the confusion, I built a J&T kit on an Eagle lower.  The lower was a flat (dull) black finish and the J&T was semi-gloss black.  Rubbing in some gun oil in the Eagle lower and cleaning the excess oil off the J&T upper resulted in what looks like a perfect color match.  And the upper and lower fit perfectly.  Very tight without having to force the pins in.  I would say the parts were equal or better than my preban Colt Govt Model.  I wonder if the preservation oil used results in the odd color you see.  I would try removing the oil with a solvent or even giving it a bath in hot soapy water to remove.  (And I have cleaned black powder guns in the sink with hot soapy water for years without any harm coming to the guns.)  Happy Thanksgiving.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 5:20:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I have tried light to heavy cleaning, nothing works. I guess I will have to take it apart, and have the thing painted or something. The fit on this one was also VERY tight. I can't complain about anything but the color match, which isn't a real biggie. I'd rather have the funny bluish purple upper that works, than a pretty color match that will not shoot.
I just thought that maybe someone else had ran into this..
The bad thing about the time factor of recoloring the upper and/or lower, is that I am in law enforcement and this rifle rides with me daily....
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Freshly anodized parts from some suppliers has a bluish cast.  Scrub with a toothbrush and a little Breakfree, and it will come off.  I recently bought a J&T kit, and after cleaning like this, the upper matched both a DPMS and Olympic forged lower very well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks A_Free_Man, I'll try the breakfree, I hope it works. Just pumped about 20 rounds through it about 30 minutes ago. Using a military bipod, I tore an orange dot off a target.
It the breakfree works I'll order another on from J&T soon. If not, I may try Model 1. Thanks guys.....
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Beercop, I will say this, and this is more important than color match... MY CAR upper has functioned perfectly.  The parts of high quality, yet the price was very reasonable (price is way low on the list, though).
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I tried the beakfree...it didn't work, but it did dull it a little. And I agree, the color is only a cosmetic problem. I can't gripe about the fit or the functioning. I too would rather had the color difference than a malfunctioning weapon....J&T parts are top quality....Thanks
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Beercop, I have had uppers and lowers from various manufacturers, with the frosty, blue residue on the freshly anodized parts.  It all came off eventually. I know one upper had a lot of black grit that came off on the rag.  But they all darkened with oiling.  Maybe yours was not anodized correctly.  You could write J&T and ask for advice on this.

Oh, at least I tried... do I get a "Get Out of Jail Free" card?  
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 1:00:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting diferences. I have a J&T upper which I consider more a dull/flat black. It matches my DPMS forged lower pretty good. Fit is great!
No bluish look on either lower or upper. The upper is definitely more flat black than the DPMS lower which is less porous perhaps smoother finish. The gun is new and the first and only 50 rounds, so far, fired without any problems whatsoever. Im satisfied with both products and would buy again. Both J&T and DPMS were great to work with, very helpful, nice folks. I'm addicted in just 3 weeks! Fun gun to shoot. What can I buy next? :)
Just my .02
Chris
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:36:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Guys, I checked with J&T ( you can see it on the Industry boards), they said that in the finishing process a few comes out blue, green, yellow, etc. They usally catch them, but every now and then one slips through. Guess who got one of them?? They were considerate enough to replace it. But I'm too happy with the way the thing shoots, it ain't worth the trouble. I have a friend here that can refinish it, if I ever decicde to go that way. I was more curious about the color, and now I know...Look at this way, evryone else won't have one just like mine...
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#13]
For whatever it's worth, I've never seen a real USGI M16 where the color of the upper matched the lower. I would forget about it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top