Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2002 1:00:51 PM EDT
Hello all,
I am in CA, and I bought a Fab-10. I am going to build a target/rangegun/plinker for fun, and I love the look of the SP1. Is the SP1 reasonably accurate, and will it fit onto my Fab-10? Thanks for the help
Austin.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#1]
SP1 uppers have big pivot pins.  You'll need an offset adapter pin to mount an SP1 upper on a FAB10
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 5:26:36 AM EDT
[#2]
SP1 uppers all all preban (f/s and lug) so you can't put them on a postban lower, but it's easy enough for a gunsmith to remove them, and either add a brake or remove the threads and recrown. I have found SP1 barrels to be very accurate with the 55 gr bullets they were designed to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#3]
With a FAB-10, which has a fixed magazine, the AW ban does not apply.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]
You're right. I forgot this is a Kalifrankengun.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
akscott60,
Your best bet is to buy a C-7 upper and change out the hand guards to the A-1 style.

The C-7 upper will have the brass deflector(a must for shooting left handed), yet still have the A-1 rear sight. Also, the C-7 upper will have the standard mil-spec take down holes, which will not require a conversion front pin to allow the upper to mate to your mil-spec take down pin lower. And, the finish on the C-7 upper will be closer to the correct color for your lower.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 11/24/2002 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#6]
FYI Bushmaster's "A1 style" upper is the C7 configuration - field sights with a brass deflector and forward assist.

I've used that bushmaster upper on a number of builds.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 3:51:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry i gotta ask this but im still learning about different Ar's,What does Sp1 stand for and whats the differance between a sp1 upper and a regular upper?

-Thnx
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#8]
SP1 (Sporter 1) is Colt's civilian version of the M16. Produced from 1964 to 1985, the SP1 has a 1:12 twist chrome lined barrel, no forward assist or shell deflector, and triangular handguards.

By "regular" upper, you probably mean the most widely used uppers these days, which would be A2, A3, A4, M4, and most recently, SPR (Special Purpose Rifle). All have round handguards, forward assist, shell deflectors, and 1:7 or 1:9 twist chrome lined barrels, except for the SPR with has a high quality match barrel and handguards with a rail mounting system. It's an animal all by itself.

I probably left some stuff out but those are the basics. HTH
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help. I know that buying an SP-1 is like buying a 30 year old car, but I still cant help but to love the lines and feel of it. This first ar-15 purchase is SO hard. I still cant make up my dang mind. I need help...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top