Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2002 7:33:13 AM EDT
I have a pre-ban rec'ver kicking around and I was thinking about changing it to an upper that I can use. Think this is more trouble than it is worth and I should just sell it?

I would think I would only have to shave off the bayo lug and weld on an ATF approved muzzle break, correct?

Link Posted: 11/19/2002 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I presume you mean that you have a preban LOWER receiver "kicking around".  

If so, why not just leave the whole rifle in a preban configuration which only involves the upper receiver so long as the rifle has a fixed stock attached to the LOWER receiver.  It's worth alot more as a preban so long as the S/N is verifiable as a preban.

If you really want a postban upper configuration rifle then just install a postban upper.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a pre-ban lower and TWO pre-ban UPPERS. I was thinking about converting the 20in into POST-BAN since I never use it...I am not going to buy another overpriced pre-ban rec'ver.

Link Posted: 11/19/2002 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, shave the bayonet lug and have the flash surpressor pinned or silver soldered.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool....just wanted to get some input! Thanks!

I'll post some before/after pics if I go thru w/ it instead of selling the upper.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:31:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I did one of these for myself a few years ago as a "why not" project and have since bought the tools and done some for friends. Just shave the lug, and have a gunsmith cut off the f/s threads and recrown the barrel(with a couple of basic tools from Brownells you can do it yourself). This becomes a low cost post-ban upper that shoots great (yes, I've read the posts that say you can't cut a chrome lined barrel, but I've never had a problem with one shooting well after being cut and crowned).
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yep, shave the bayonet lug and have the flash surpressor pinned or silver soldered.
View Quote

Can't have a flash suppressor, even if it's permanently installed.  He'd have to remove the suppressor and permanently install a non-flash suppressing muzzle brake, or have the threads removed or permanently covered with a muzzle nut.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top