Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/8/2002 10:03:44 AM EDT
I'm looking for suggestions on how to shorten the length of pull on a post-ban AR in order to obtain a better fit for us short folk.

I know that an A1 buttstock is 5/8" shorter than an A2, but a wee bit shorter would be nice - and besides, I have yet to find a source for used A1 buttstocks that haven't seen better days.

I've seen those little bitty "tactical entry" stocks, but what I'm really looking for is a "normal" stock - just an inch or so shorter - not a thumb in the eye when firing from a conventional shoulder mount.

Any ideas? Other than the illegal fitting of a truly collapsible stock - something I wouldn't dream of doing.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Cavalry Arms makes new A1-length stocks.

You could get a collapsable stock and permanently fix it at some length other than fully extended.

Also check out the DCM/CMP areas.  Maybe one of the adjustable stocks for match rifles is adjustable to shorter than A1 length.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You might take a gander at this thread (with photos) over at The Firing Line:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126780
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool... thanks!

Now I just have to decide if I want pink... or purple... perhaps blue...

or maybe I'll just stick with black.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
You can also add a 1" spacer to the entry stock to make it usable.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 4:03:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I figured if I posed the question I'd end up with a range of options to check into. I was right
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Let us know what you end up with.  I've been having somewhat the same conversation over in the AR Discussions forum.  Check out the thread on the RRA Tactical Entry.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#7]
An update: I ended up going with the A1 buttstock... funny what a difference 5/8" makes, but my Bushy A2 shorty now fits me like a glove, and I kind of like the look of the "semi-gloss" A1 stock compared to the matte A2 version that came of my rifle.

BTW - got the used A1 stock from Northridge International. When I called and spoke to the fellow who took my order I inquired about their "hand select fee." He stated that their supply was getting kind of depleted, and some who had paid the fee had been disappointed with what they had gotten. So I told him to just send me what they had (hey - for $15 I figured I didn't have much to lose if the stock was beat). Anyway - long story short - the stock I received was in about as good a shape as anything used has a right to be. A little elbow grease and it looked new. Just wanted to get in props for Northridge - they did ok by me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]
What you may want to try is one of the tactical shorty A-2 stocks with the adjustable buttplate.  That way it is completely adjustable from just over the length of the tactical stock to just over the A-2 length.  It is perfect for my wife, and I can use it as well (5' to 6'4").

Jesse
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top