Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/2/2002 7:44:47 AM EDT
Howdy All. FNG,here,looking for some help. I just bought a RRA stripped lower. After contacting the state PD, I can own a AR-15 pistol(with the proper paperwork).So my question is, can I use the RRA lower and buy a 'parts kit'for the pistol version?If so,who do you folks recomend? Anybody own or shot one of those animals? Any help will be appreciated!TIA,
Kent
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link SBR7_11.I saw that,but I still have more questions.What's with the 50 oz.thing? How do these shoot(reliable or not)?Where I live,it would have to be registered as a pistol.No SBR,for me.What are recomendations for buying the parts from?BTW,search function seems to be gone,I appreciate the answers to my questions.Even if they have been covered before.
Thanks,
Kent
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The 50 oz thing is federal law and it supercedes state law.  A semi-auto pistol with a detachable magazine outside the grip is considered an "assault weapon" if it is over 50 ozs.

It has been illegal to build an "assault weapon" since 1994.

If you can find a way to build your AR15 pistol and have it less than 50 ozs. then you could go ahead.

Here are some hints to making a light weight AR15 pistol:

-short barrel
-plastic receiver, both upper and lower
-no forearm stocks
-no sights
-flat top upper
-use a pistol type buffer
-no muzzle compensator/flash hider etc.

Possible ways around the assault rifle ban:
-build a manually operated, or pump operated pistol
-make it a single shot pistol
-permantly affix the mag to the lower and use stripper clips to load it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the reply,monkeyman. But after careful research,I think you forgot my other option,build a "dissipator".lol.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Also note how terribly inefficient the .223 is out of a pistol length barrel. I DID however, want to play with a .223 pistol so my answer was to get a 10" bull barrel in .223 for my Contender. It is one load of fun.

Teeline
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 11:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Actually it is not illegal build.  It is illegal to build and then sell to non-LEO and other exceptions listed in the law.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 5:34:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually it is not illegal build.  It is illegal to build and then sell to non-LEO and other exceptions listed in the law.

So budam,you're saying I could build it,and as long as I kept it,it would be OK?
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#8]
You can build it today legally, but it has to comply with the AW crap and weghit restrictions applicable to semi-auto AR. You can build as a manually operated action, then there is no AW crap applicable, as the fire arm is not semi-auto.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Best to wait until the AWB expires.

Better yet, write your rep and join the NRA (if not already a member) to make sure the AWB expires.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, maybe technicaly you could build an AW as long as you sold it to a LEO or government, which of course you would probably need a manufacters license to do, and you would have to mark the AW for sale only to LEO and government.

The way I read the AW law...
It is illegal to build AND posess an AW unless you are a licensed manufacturer, LEO or government, which is the same thing as being illegal for most of us.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Can I legally own an AR pistol, made by someone like Olympic Arms?

Also, is that weight factor with the empty magazine, or without?
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 6:50:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Can I legally own an AR pistol, made by someone like Olympic Arms?

Also, is that weight factor with the empty magazine, or without?

$1,500
www.proord.com/products_ff.html

$1,020
www.olyarms.com/popup/oa98.html

These are about the only AR15 pistols that meet the ban requirements. There is another Oly AOW pistol, but that takes class III approval and a $5 NFA transfer fee.

I have a PO Carbon 15 pistol with the muzzle break I am thinking of selling. IM me if intersted. The pistol has had less than 500 rounds through it and has not had problems when using Thermold mags.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#13]
remember that olyarms pistol that had the short bufferer tube, FIXED 30 rd magazine, that used stripper clips...?
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Looking thru the latest issue of "FAC Guns-n-Stuff",(gunsnstuff.net) there is a Hesse Arms AR-15 Pistol.$597. Anybody know anything about this animal?
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Hesse = Danger Will Robinson, Danger, DANGER!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 7:16:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hesse = Danger Will Robinson, Danger, DANGER!

That explains the cheap price!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I am also building an Ar15 pistol.  I bought a Hesse lower (plastic).  I don't think you will be able to make the weight requierement with a metal lower.  I also bought a Hesse plastic upper.  I have put everything together using milspec parts and a pigtail gas tube (a must for short barrels).  I am weighing in at 52.8 ounces (not good).  I used a 7.5 inch HBar that I cut down and inch or so.  My course of action is to get a 16" light barrel and cut it down just before the gas block, that way it should make the weight requirement and use a standard gas tube (much cheaper).  In my opinion it is impossible to make the weight requirement with the lower you have.  It might also be to you advantage to just buy the Hesse pistol already together.  I have already shelled out more than it would have cost to buy an prebuilt pistol.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:06:28 AM EDT
[#18]
You can get a legal AR15 PREBAN style AOW handgun...

Check out:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=148215&w=searchPop[/url]

[image]http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/images/TBP/mvc00013.jpg[/image]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:04:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Building a pistol after the 94 ban restricts you from all the nice features, detachable mag, flash hider, bayo lug if it's over 50 oz.As a short barrel shotgun it still has to comply with the AW ban. The other option is to but a front grip on and regester as an AOW, these dont have to comply with the AW ban. There is a $200 reg fee if you do this your self. Here is a link to the ones I do.
Howard
JB Arms
http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=1216&query=retrieval
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top