Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/1/2002 6:32:06 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to build my first kit and I'm looking for a lower. Someone recommended a rock river arms lower. Is this a good lower to go with.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]
For a kit build, they are fantastic.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Get one of the U.S, Govt marked  RRA lowers from Legal Transfers (on this site in the manufacturers forum).  $312 will get you a complete National Match lower with a really awesome 2-stage trigger.  Mine breaks GLASS SMOOTH at about 4.5 lbs according to my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. Regular AR triggers suck, I promise you that you will be glad in the future that you spent the extra bucks for the NM trigger. They shipped it well packed and very fast.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I just built a RRA lower with a J&T kit, color was perfect and receivers are nice and tight.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you need to go through an FFL to get a lower from RRA (I've noticed that some websites say you have to, others don't)? Their website sells "National Match Lower Half" with NM two stage trigger for $350...is that a good deal?
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do you need to go through an FFL to get a lower from RRA (I've noticed that some websites say you have to, others don't)? Their website sells "National Match Lower Half" with NM two stage trigger for $350...is that a good deal?

Yes - even if you walk in there front door, you will be dealing with an FFL.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, you need a FFL to purchase a lower receiver through the mail. Usually you contact a FFL in your area and the seller must ship to him. The FFL will charge you a transfer fee, usually $15 to $20 and you'll have to fill a an ATF form 4473. Buying a lower receiver for any rifle is consided in the eyes of the law the same as buying the whole gun. If you go to http://www.gunbroker.com/ and click the link "Free Stuff for Licenced Dealers" you'll find the FFL Holder Network Member List. There you'll be able to locate a FFL in your area.

I built my first AR with a RRA lower and a J&T Expedition Kit, shoots like a dream, check it out, you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I also used a RRA lower to build a J&T Expedition kit.  Everything fit perfectly.  I fired 300 rounds of SA surplus, with no malfunctions.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I built one with RRA lower and upper and everything else RRA.  Its a great rifle and no malfunctions at all.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm the only person in the world that has had bad luck with a Rock River lower (stripped). I bought it from Gunsmoke in Florida (Dec '00)along with a Bushmaster lower (stripped) and other parts. The RR lower had machine cutting marks on both inside walls of the magazine well (40 horizontal cuts per inch), the left wall of the magazine well was 0.010" thinner than two Bushmasters, a Colt SP-1, a PWA, and two M-16A2's that I measured, the threaded hole for the pistol grip screw was not located correctly (when the grip was installed, the grip had an eighth inch gap at the front (with BM, Colt, and gov't grips), and the serial number was stamped very lightly on the left side. The serial number was CM01398, anybody now have it? Everyone I hear about has had great luck and service from RR, but I haven't.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm the only person in the world that has had bad luck with a Rock River lower (stripped). I bought it from Gunsmoke in Florida (Dec '00)along with a Bushmaster lower (stripped) and other parts. The RR lower had machine cutting marks on both inside walls of the magazine well (40 horizontal cuts per inch), the left wall of the magazine well was 0.010" thinner than two Bushmasters, a Colt SP-1, a PWA, and two M-16A2's that I measured, the threaded hole for the pistol grip screw was not located correctly (when the grip was installed, the grip had an eighth inch gap at the front (with BM, Colt, and gov't grips), and the serial number was stamped very lightly on the left side. The serial number was CM01398, anybody now have it? Everyone I hear about has had great luck and service from RR, but I haven't.

Wow...Thats pretty bad. Sounds like a "reject" that slipped thru.  I guess sooner or later every maker has a bad item slip thru the cracks. Didn't you send it back??
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 5:51:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Hmm. That's worrisome.

I have no personal experience with RRA, but based on their general reputation, and on the description of ArmyOrdGuy's bad receiver, I wonder if it's possible that what he had was a counterfeit receiver.

I have no reason to believe one way or another, but it sounds to me like it might have been something besides what it purported to be.

Has anyone else heard of dubious markings or possibly counterfeit product like this?

ArmyOrdGuy, did you buy this receiver new through a dealer/ffl, or was it used when you bought it?

~Wolfrick
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I ordered new Bushmaster and PWA stripped receivers along with other parts from Gunsmoke (FL) in Oct '00. They said that the PWA receiver was temporarilly out of stock but would substitute a Rock River for the same price. I said OK. Built both rifles and found the RR problems. I notified Gunsmoke of the problems and he rapidly stepped back from the problem and said that I would have to deal with Rock River. I called and E-mailed RR several times. Spoke with Gaye at RR (she didn't have much to say except "send it back" and sounded like she didn't know which end was up). I then had to strip the receiver that I had just built up (what a pain). A few weeks lated, I ordered a front sight base from Bushnaster which I received and found that the barrel holes were 0.01" left of center. I called BM and they said "send it back". A week later, I received a correct BM sight base. I still hadn't heard from RR. This is to show the difference between BM and RR customer service two years ago. After several more unanswered messages from me to RR,they said that they were temporarilly out of stock of RR receivers but could send a PWA. I said OK and got the PWA in late Dec '00. It's a beauty. Excellent finish, machining, and a tight fit with a BM upper. Shipped on RR Invoice 6666 dtd 12/21/00. One thing that has been puzzling me is how they did the transfer. I had the ordered receivers (new) shiped to my local FFL and did/paid the required paperwork; however, RR just shipped the replacement PWA to my front porch via my friendly UPS man.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I got two RRA recievers from gunsmoke inc. in late 2001.
Both are cm060** serial number.
They have good fit and finnish, inside and out.
ArmyOrdGuy, I know people can ship there firearms back directly to the manufacture for repairs or replacement. But I've never herd of them sending a different brand of reciever.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I just picked up a stripped RRA from Pete-in-NH, great looking finish on the lower, great service from Pete.  I'm also looking at picking up on of the Olympic stripped receivers that you can get custom engraved.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=144803&w=searchPop
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I built an M4gery last spring on an RRA receiver with a kit from J&T. It went together without a hitch. Has, probably, 500+ rounds through it with no problems so far. I'm thinking seriously about getting another one soon.

Holeshot4
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 2:16:25 AM EDT
[#16]
When I put the parts into my RRA lower, they fit like they had been hand fitted. Same for the Upper. If you are building a rifle, you cann't beat the RRA lower to make your start!
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Another RRA success story here.

I built my complete RRA M4gery with a left over upper from the LEGP rifle program that ran a couple of years ago.  I got the stripped RRA lower from Gunsmoke and it all went together perfectly.  The assembled upper, lower parts kit and stock were purchased directly from RRA.  I've shot hundreds of rounds using USGI 30 round mags and haven't had a single hiccup.  Everyone pretty much drools on it at the range too!  It is an accurate shooting, excellent looking carbine.

I consider Rock River Arms to be equal with BM, Colt, Armalite and better than any others.

By the way, before I got the RRA lower, I had the M4 upper sitting on an Olympic Arms stripped lower I had already previously built.  The fit, finish and function of the Olympic was also just as good as the RRA or any others I've seen.

Enough talk, order one ASAP!!!

BBURN
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Guys, thank you for all your help concerning my question about RRA lowers. I'm going Monday to order one. Thanks again
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top