Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2002 9:08:51 PM EDT
Does the front sight tower have to be removed to install the delta ring?
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC.... No.

The delta ring is installed from the barrel nut end. You will need to remove the barrel first, though. It's been a while so forgive me if im wrong...
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
nam, your recollection is correct.

With barrel off the upper, remove the snap ring and just pull off the old weld spring and delta ring.  Place new delta ring and weld spring in place, reinstall snap ring.

Reinstall barrel to upper, then maybe slide everything around so the notch in the barrel nut, and the holes in the delta ring, weld spring and gap in the snap ring all line up properly for gas tube installation.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. That's what I thought. Another AR site said the tower had to removed first. Guess they were wrong.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
only part on a stock AR that requires removing the sight base is the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
only part on a stock AR that requires removing the sight base is the barrel nut.

. . . . and the front handgaurd cap.

All good . . . Doug . . . .
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

......and free float handguards.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
......and free float handguards.

I considered and didn't bother mentioning free float guards - since they're not part of a stock AR.  A pigtail gas tube also requires removal of the front sight base - but they're not stock, either.

Point taken on the handguard cap, drop.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, though I would not personally recommend it, the barrel nut can also be removed by removing only the barrel extension. In point of fact, the front handguard cap is the "only" part on a "stock" AR that absolutely requires removal of the FSB.

All good . . . . Doug . . . .
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
by removing only the barrel extension.

Even with all the experience I have, I wouldn't attempt this. Getting that sucker back in alignment would be a witch with a capital B!

But you're right nonetheless!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top