Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2002 7:10:27 PM EDT
i bought an RRA m4 entry tactical rifle.. made it illegal on accident.. collapsible stock, threaded barrel with baynet lug... but at the time i didnt know it was illegal. anyway i bought a preban oly lower for it, do i just put it all together and its good to go or do i have to do somethn else now?? i dont feel like spendn 10 years in jail over a gun..
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, if you bought just the pre-ban lower, you might have lost the grandfathering, according to current ATF opinion.  The ATF feels that if the lower is sold without all the parts necessary to make it into an AW, then it's no longer grandfathered.

But... I'd just stick the upper on the oly lower and never talk about it - then find a nice post-ban config upper for your RRA lower.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 6:23:41 AM EDT
[#2]
ok.. well i was wondering about that.. it was built as a rifle once by oly. but then taken apart so now its just a complete lower that the guy was saving, i guess it has some special serial number. well i dont want to be illegal but i dont want to put any more money into making it either.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#3]
KILL YOURSELF NOW _ YOU ARE A FELON _ I SUGGEST YOU POST HERE NO MORE
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#4]
BLAAA
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#5]
maybe i should have been more specific when i posted.. those are all parts i have for my ar.. but not yet installed.. but i want to be able to add them and make it legal..
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
OMG WTF is your problem.. i came here for help and you call me a felon??, i havent even recieved my lower yet.. i am trying to find out if its illegal or not illegal to add a preban lower to a postban upper so that it will be legal. the answer i got was it might be.... i talked to some people i know and they said it was legal so i thought i would come here.. the site for AR's and ask to make sure.. i am really new to AR's... dont have to be such an a**hole.

This is definately a bad situation for you.  My suggestion would be to put everything in a very secure box and send it to me for safe keeping.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#7]
haha.. there would be a lot of different parts in that box.. but im sorry.. not for free
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#8]
RRA.....tates post was a joke...

If you are going to stay around here you better grow a thicker skin.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#9]
oops.. thats a newb for ya. i will change the part with the potty word.. but then no one will know there was a potty word so maybe i shouldnt even say there was a potty word. wow thats a nice hole isnt it..
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Take all theparts that make that RRA illegal, you knwo which ones, stick it on that OLY preban receiver, joila!  you're done

even if it was sold without all the parts to make it preban, the serial number says it is, and if the ATF bitches, say you got new parts to make it as you like still in preban config, and sold the old ones...

They won't ask because they have beliefs that are impossible to prove now...

Have fun and be safe
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#11]
RRAguy, I bought a supposed pre ban bushmaster from a dealer. Had a receipt that stated it was pre ban even. Then, on a whim one night, I did a serial number request from bushmaster and found out it was in fact a post ban lower. Granted, I had proof (receipt)that I was obeying the law to my knowledge...but it was still my responsibility to make it compliant after the fact. I took it up with the dealer and after the BS slinging, I was compensated for their screw up. As to your problem...You can request from Olympic as to the condition the rifle lower left the factory by the serial number. This is the best way to be sure. Though it could have left as a lower only and built up after the fact well before the ban. However, as long as you are sure that the Olympic lower is pre ban, I would not worry about it as the BATF would be hard pressed to prove you other wise. Who is to say that Jo Blow from who knows where bought it and never built it up before the ban...Prove it! Most pre ban EA's left the factory as lower only and there are plenty of them around. As to the original lower...just buid up a post ban or sell it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#12]
lots of hersay and claptrap going around. basicly, put your naughtys on your preban lower and you are good to go.

since you have a post ban RRA to play with, build a POST ban gun from a JT kit, or send it to me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#13]
ya im building a guy a gun with the extra parts and a few new ones. for a mini-14 and a ruger p90.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#14]
i am building a guy basically a new rra m4 entry tactical.. for a mini-14 and a ruger p90.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#15]
RRA...Take dukota's advise cuz man-o-man are you ever inna tight spot...hardeeharharhar Your opt to buy the preban was right on the money. Ya lost me with the part about the "bayo lug" & "threaded barrel" but what the hay...I don't gotta understand. Put the nasty's on the new lower, mount the upper & feed it some brass. Post a PIC so's we can all enjoy :o) What are you going to do with the postban lower? I'm in STP...where in the Gopher State are you? Thx...Bud
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#16]
RRA,

Are you aware of Oly's inability to really tell you much about their products?...

See, they had a fire and and earthquake (and the dog peed on the ashes) and their records are gone.

Just an FYI
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#17]
yeah i know... well i dont think it will be a big problem.. i never shoot it anywere that people go to so. its all good.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top