Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2002 2:25:06 PM EDT
Looking at building a .22 LR AR 15 because the siluete range I go to only allows .22 LR rifles.  I know all about the ceiner kits and Kurt's dedicated uppers but what I want is a real deal not a kit full .22 LR upper like a 9mm upper and bolt but in .22 LR.  Do they exist?  Leitner Wise has something like this but they don't seam to have any thing in stock.  And no I do not want a 10/22 I want to shoot an AR.  Thank you
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, you'll have to get a lower separately, but you might want to check out Kuehl Precision Firearms.  I don't have any personal experience with their products but they seem pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Several people make dedicated .22LR uppers:
KKF, Keuhl, and Accuracy Speaks among them.  They use the bolt and carrier from one of the kits (usually Ciener, but somebody uses the Army kit) and mate them to a .22LR barrel (.221, 1:16") with a regular .22lr chamber.  They're .22 only can can't be used with a .223 bolt.
Fulton-Armory and DPMS also make .22LR uppers.  AFAIK they use the bolts from the kits too.
Leitner-Wise apparently makes their own bolts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Compass Lake Engineering builds 22RF uppers in either service rifle or match rifle configuration. Frank uses Douglas SS air gauged barrels with the correct bore & groove diameters for 22RF ammo, in 1~16 twist. He uses modified M261 military surplus conversion units - his uppers come with two 10-rd. magazines and a single loading fork made of Delrin. The mags fit into std. 223 20-30rd. mags without modifications, and a std. 223 mag will hold the bolt open for single loading with the Delrin fork. My CLE 22RF upper is a tack-driver with Wolf Match Extra as well as several of the more expensive grades of RF match ammo. They're not cheap - one in service rifle config. with 1/4 min. sights is around $950+ shipping. But I've never regretted having spent the dough to get mine.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 2:55:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Flatlander said it all. I have CLE AR22 #2. I developed the AR22 at Compass Lake at the urging of Spike Forsyth. We looked at several conversion kits and decided that the US Amry's M-261 had the best promise.
Starting with the M-261 we made a special 1:16 SS Douglas barrel that replicates the adaptor geometry, threw the adaptor away and added a small part to the bolt assembly to keep it together in the absence of the adaptor. Then we made several minor, but important, modifications for reliability.
The CLE AR22 upper can replicate your .223 upper in every aspect except the recoil and ammo cost. Great to shoot at indoor ranges and at 100 yard reduced matches.
Everyone wants to know why they cost so much. You get what you pay for. First it is the same as a .223 upper with these exceptions:
Subtract .223 match barrel - $300
Add .22 match barrel +$300
Subtract .223 bolt and carrier -$110
Add surplus M-261 Kit +$150
Subtract .223 barrel extension -$15
Add adaptor replacement part + $15
Add special mods to M-261 + $25

www.compasslake.com/
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top