Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2002 6:05:12 AM EDT

Well, after having launched all my front detents trying to get them into my lower, I figured i'd ask for some help.  Does anyone know a place that makes a tool for this?  Does anyone have a few extra detents they'd throw in an envelope for a reasonable price rather then paying $8 shipping for $2 or $3 in parts?  Thanks in advance.

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:56:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
On some receivers, the spring is too long and you will never get the pin to recess all the way in without cutting a few winds off the spring.  Once your sure that the spring is the correct length, then press and insert the take down pin.

Hope this helps.

Well, I picked up 4 detents and 4 springs for $4 at the Harrisburg gun show this weekend.  Came home and started by clipping a few coils off the spring as Dano suggested.  By using a Allen Wrench about the size of the takedown pivot which I drilled a hole in about the size of the detent I had it together within about 10 minutes.  That spring was just too long to allow the detent into the receiver enough to get the pivot pin in there.  Thanks for all the help guys.  If I ever do another, i'll know how to do it now.

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#2]

DAMNNIT ORANGE YOU MADE ME SPIT COKE ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD!!

that was hilarious....

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks kj I went to the hardware store and bought a hitch pin or clevis pin 1/4"x3" for 85 cents. Sure beats the heck out of $8 to $12 for a push pin tool!! Works like a charm!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
mikeinkc - you're welcome.  I got that tip from the old AR15 board.  Actually, everything I learned about the rifle, I got from AR15.com!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top